Returns for a business

I think us sellers need to lobby against ebay rules regarding returns. They shouldn't be automatically approved as by UK law there is certain situations that a business can refuse the return.

I have had two issues with this lately, the first was an item that the buyer admitted that it was working and they did something and now it wasn't and because I said that they would have to sort it out (which is my right) they issued a return and of course I had no say in.

The second was a item sold for parts and decribed as not working in the listing and didn't receive any messages from the buyer just got a return issued saying the item doesn't work. Again it was automatically approved.

In both of these situations according to UK law regarding returns I can refuse the returns but ebay don't give sellers these options and just say I can claim the postage back which really isn't the point. 

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Returns for a business

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@gandestore wrote:

I think us sellers need to lobby against ebay rules regarding returns.

The obligation for business sellers to accept returns for any reason isn't an eBay rule though, it's a consumer regulation - eBay don't make the rules here. 

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Returns for a business

In certain situtations such as the buyer damaging the item or buying an item knowing it does not work you don't have to accept the return or issue a refund. If the buyer simply changes their mind and within 14 days or the item is defective then yes the return should be accepted.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Returns for a business

If you have buyers damaging items and then returning them you should report them, just so eBay has a record of it. If they have past form of doing it and are reported by other sellers then eBay will take action against them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=3&pos=2&que...

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Returns for a business

I already have

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Returns for a business

Then that's the best that you can do here.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Returns for a business

Just a warning for sellers, it seems because I have complained about the automatic returns they have took away the partial refund from me. So now it cost me even more to cover the scammers great.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: