Question regarding selling stamps

Can someone please tell me (please note that I have just created this account as a posting ID, it's not my "real" account) if it is legal to sell stamps on Ebay and also if I would look like a scammer selling fakes.

I ask this because of the following factors :-  on my "real" account I have less than ten feedback and none are for selling, I have approximately £400 of 1st class stamps to sell which may look strange. 

If I were to list them, I would not be able to explain where I got them from as members of the Spectos, mailagents panel are NOT allowed to reveal their identity and if I were to sell any, the buyer (I'm guessing) would have my real name, address and telephone no. 

I can't sell these on Facebook market place either for the same reasons as I've outlined here. Meanwhile because stamps are given every month (as well as points for vouchers) I'm just going to get more and more of them and they are of no value to me because I never post anything. 

I would list them at less than half the face value as I really only want to get something for them rather than have them just sitting in a drawer.

In case anyone thinks that I am "dodgy" please Google "Spectos Mailagents" I've been on the panel for a long time which is why I have so many stamps.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Question regarding selling stamps

I'v definitely used stamps to pay bills in the Post Office, probably more than 25 years ago though (and probably wasn't a council tax bill back then!)

Message 21 of 24
See Most Recent

I know if you bought a postal order you could add/stick stamps to it to make up the value, say if you need one for £10.50 you would buy a £10 postal order and stick 50p worth of stamps on it.  This was years ago though, I don't even know if you can still get postal orders from the Post Office, are postal orders still a thing?

Message 22 of 24
See Most Recent

If you were to list stamps on eBat and they were 100% legal for half the face value. I would buy and i am sure many others would. Let me know a date and time you are going to list and i will be waiting.

Message 23 of 24
See Most Recent

Yes postal orders still exist! We accept them as a method of payment they are in affect cash. If crossed and made payable to you the post office treat it like a cheque, if not crossed then you can cash them in over the counter. 

they have a six month shelf life from date of issue.

you cannot add stamps to them these days! 

to clear the other myth up you cannot pay bills with stamps ! That may well have been a thing of the past but not today!!

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 24 of 24
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: