Posting To USA From UK

I'm based in the UK. Someone in the USA is trying to buy an item from me. I listed the postage as £4.50 (it's a small item, and I listed before I had a handle on eBay selling!) but they buyer says when he made an offer, it old him postage would be $35-odd. 

So, how does this work? Do I get the extra postage he pays automatically? Or how does it work?

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Posting To USA From UK

Your listings do say you post to the States and other countries so buyers from those countries will see the postage they need to pay for your item,  so yes, if they are seeing a $35 shipping charge they pay that on top of the item price and you receive all the money the buyer pays.

You then use that money to pay for the postage to the US.

Be aware,  if you are a new or returning seller your initial payouts may be held for 21 days until delivery is proved, ensure you have enough upfront, to cover expensive postage charges.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Posting To USA From UK

That's odd, unless you are sending via the global shipping program.

Can't think of any other reason why a customer in the US wouldn't be paying exactly what is on your listing, in local currency.

If it is, although I don't use GSP, I fairly certain you wouldn't get $35, just the £4 50 less fees,  but you would only need to post UK.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong in that point.

Be aware also that you are charged fees on postage and fees for money exchange on international sales.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Posting To USA From UK

I'm not too sure now @magpiecorner1   but they do have the States on the list of countries the seller posts to.

Doesn't a buyer then select their country and the correct postage charge to their country is then shown, and that's what they pay?    Thought it worrked that way?  

Not everyone uses GSP.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Posting To USA From UK

Your listing are with the Global Shipping Programme which is good if the items have value.

Any Offers made by an eBayer are for the item price only, the postage remains still the same with GSP.  International Buyers can see what they are expected to pay before they buy, so it will be no surprise to them.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Posting To USA From UK

@tressygirl wrote:

I'm not too sure now @magpiecorner1   but they do have the States on the list of countries the seller posts to.

Doesn't a buyer then select their country and the correct postage charge to their country is then shown, and that's what they pay?    Thought it worrked that way?  

Not everyone uses GSP.

Hi treesy... the OP's items are listed with GSP enabled.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Posting To USA From UK

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Always best to know how services you use work -

You are in Global Shipping and when a buyer pays you receive whatever is on your listing plus domestic postage [if any].

you post to the Global UK hub and should use tracking and enter it in the transaction when you post.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Posting To USA From UK

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

You're enrolled in eBay's Global Shipping Programme, so all you have to do is to get the sold item to the UK shipping hub, and for this you'll receive the domestic postage cost you've put on your listing.

The Global Shipping Programme adds and collects the International part of the postage plus any import fees at eBay checkout (sellers don't see this part of the payment).

You print one postage label, to the UK hub. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/global-shipping-programme?...

The correct address to send the item out to is always the one showing in the order details in the Awaiting Dispatch section, here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sh/ord/?filter=status:AWAITING_SHIPMENT

Or, if you're buying a postage label via eBay it will automatically pick up this address. 

If you're writing out the delivery address on the package you must include the code that's in the address, it identifies the buyer. If you don't have the code on the package the GSP can't identify the order.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Posting To USA From UK

I don't use GSP and what is shown in the .com site it what I charge.  I used business policies in a couple of businesses accounts, but I don't do any variation in fees.  On another couple of businesses accounts I just put postage on every listing, but just cost.  

There might be a way to put different charges on for different countries but I've never done it.

I can remember once my friend sold a pair of boots and GSP was £80 to someone in Europe, whereas she has put £10 postage, hence my thoughts about GSP. 

I just made sense that it was GSP as the seller only pays postage to the hub and the buyer pays Pitney Bowes a much higher price.  And GSP is generally the default option for International sales.

Hopefully the OP will come back with more info.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: