Pensioners

Could someone help me with a question please 

I would like to ask if pensioners have to also declare to the tax man if more than £2000 sold on eBay ?

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Pensioners

Why would pensioners be exempt? 

I do a self assessment return to HMRC every year and pay tax on my pensions and my online sales. 

This year I am getting a £3 rebate. 

See you down the Pub

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

You have to state your incomes from all sources in all amounts.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

Are you trading? If you are then you need to keep records and submit a self assessment. The rules haven't changed. If you were trading last year, the same rules applied then as apply now. Whether you are trading is the relevant thing, the same as it's always been.

All that's changed is that ebay now have to share sellers' sales details with HMRC once they hit one of the thresholds (number of items or value of sales) and will be doing it using sellers' National Insurance numbers according to their help page: UK digital sales reporting | eBay.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

Ebay will provide your details (full name, address, NI number etc.) along with details of all your sales to the taxman if you reach that threshold - the amount is about £1700 as it is 2000 Euros.

If Ebay does not have your NI number, they will ask you to provide it.

It doesn't matter if you are employed, a pensioner etc.

HMRC will then decide if they need to contact you although you do have the option of contacting them.  The paragraph below, taken from the link provided by @rainbowtrax should help you decide whether you should be declaring your sales.

'The question of whether you are acting commercially or whether tax obligations result from your sales activity depends on your sales activity as a whole. If you are unsure if your selling activity on eBay qualifies as private or commercial or if you have further questions regarding your tax obligations, please contact HMRC or a tax advisor.'

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

Yes, being a pensioner doesn't exempt you.

Pensioners can be all ages. A friend's been drawing his policeman's pension since his early 50s (at that time, maybe still, policemen are retired that young as they were [?are] considered burnt out early by a particularly exhausting job, or else that's just how they put it to him!). He started another career. He had, and still has, to declare his policeman's pension.

Some opt to take part of their pension and carry on working. Not uncommon for people approaching retirement. You need to get the tax codes right, as the pension is taken into account.

What matters to HMRC is income from all sources.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

Been a pensioner since i turned 40, thanks to a full 22 year career in the Army ( one of the very few perks )

Dont like it but have to declare the pension against everything else.

Such is life ( and death ) taxed on everything

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Pensioners (above state pension age) are exempt from NI, but are not exempt from income tax. So if you are selling for profit on eBay then your profits would be subject to income tax, the same as somebody below state pension age.

If you are not selling for profit then your sales should not be subject to income tax, regardless of whether you are above or below pension age.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

Although using a private account you hold stocks of the items you are selling and could be picked up.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Pensioners

I am part retired, under state pension age, but don't pay NICs on my pension.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: