Packlink refusing to compensate me, any ideas?

Good afternoon all

Packlink are refusing to compensate me (Yodel parcel) for an item which is within the agreed categories for sending, in this case a set of melamine coasters. They told me and I quote 'Unfortunately, in order to progress this claim, we will require information/documentation to confirm that the item was manufactured within the last 50 years. Without this, our Claims team will not accept the claim. Can you please provide details to confirm that the item was manufactured within the last 50 years'.?

WHAT! I informed them that as I didn't manufacture them myself that no I couldn't. They are around 20 years old which I know to be the case. I have provided all the information requested, several photos  of damage, wrapping g, post label, receipt for my purchase of them etc.

Any ideas apart from banging my head against a wall?

Cheers

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Did you read FULLY the terms and conditions ?.

Packlink are apparently the biggest buyers of swarfega,they are slippier than a custard covered ice cream.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

This may be a bit of a long shot but if you know the manufacturer a search of the interwebnet might return some information on the year-range during which the coasters were produced.

If it's any consolation it does appear to be a 'delay and obfuscate' attempt by Packlink to wear you down to the point where you just give up trying to claim compensation. And even if you do find out a date of manufacture they may well come up with another demand for even more obscure information. I can only wish you the best of luck...

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

I'd just send them a "Letter Before Action" indicating you will take them to small claims court if they don't refund you

They will probably pay at that point

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

@myriad*seller wrote:

I'd just send them a "Letter Before Action" indicating you will take them to small claims court if they don't refund you

They will probably pay at that point

I doubt it...Packlink are registered in Spain so can't be pursued through a small claim. That's one good reason why I would never use them.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

@dion5feb2016 wrote:

Packlink are refusing to compensate me (Yodel parcel) for an item which is within the agreed categories for sending, in this case a set of melamine coasters. They told me and I quote 'Unfortunately, in order to progress this claim, we will require information/documentation to confirm that the item was manufactured within the last 50 years. Without this, our Claims team will not accept the claim. Can you please provide details to confirm that the item was manufactured within the last 50 years'.?

You described them as "Vintage"; antique dealers often consider items older than 40 years to be "vintage". Packlink's terms state that antiques are prohibited items whilst classifying the following as antique items:

"Other articles manufactured with 50 years of antiquity.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Is the the Cloverleaf coasters?  The factory closed in 2002 although the ones you sold have a barcode on the back. A bit of research shows that the first barcode was used in production on June 24th 1974 so not quite 50 years ago.

Send them the photo of the barcode and a screenshot of the history and see how you get on.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

You will have to find a way to provide reasonable evidence that the items are under 50 years old. Packlink will I think try to find ways to refuse compensation claims, so you need to provide what they ask for in order for the claim to be settled.

In future, if unhappy with this setup, don't use Packlink and instead buy labels direct from the courier.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

@rjwilmsi wrote:

You will have to find a way to provide reasonable evidence that the items are under 50 years old.

I was thinking along the same lines. Other than an original purchase receipt I have no idea what Packlink would deem to be acceptable; they've obviously picked up on the word "vintage" and interpreted it to their advantage. I tried to see what I could get from GS1 with the EAN (barcode) but it only states it is an expired code now belonging to Portmeirion. Unfortunately the record doesn't state when the EAN was originally registered which is what the OP probably needed.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent