Overseas Post.Customs Declaration Barcoded or Not?

There seems to be some confusion between the Post Office, Royal Mail..... and me!

I sell a few items to Germany and the USA untracked.

Royal Mail web site  says CN22  Customes Declaration with bar code must be used for standard untracked service.. Today the Post Office told me that a CN22 without barcode can also be used for untracked mail. . I always understood that CN22 without barcode was only for tracked mail because the tracking label has the bar code. Who is right?

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

The Post Office were correct.  The CN22 with a barcode has not been used for a while.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Very confusing - my Post Office say I have to use the bar-coded for untracked items & the uncoded for tracked items as the sticker they use carries its own unique number.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Yes I agree with your Post Office. The Post Office are now issuing separate barcode labels to attach to envelopes etc.. with non barcoded labels for untracked mail. 

CN22 without a bar code is for tracked mail only. I think the Post Office is wrong and Royal Mail right.

I will not be sending untracked mail abroad without a bar code. As Robbtyke said, CN22 with bar code untracked mail and CN22 withot bar code for tracked mail because the bar code is on the tracking label.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Untracked barcode, tracked no barcode.

Unless it's changed in the last 6 months having worked there for a short time, that's the way I was 'taught'.

Jo

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Perhaps one way round it is to use the bar-coded label for all items but if it carries tracking put the air-mail sticker on the CN22 label so it obscures the original bar-code number. Just a thought.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

That is incorrect.

The Post Office should now only be using the CN22 without a barcode.

If you want to download and print a CN22 (high value items still have a different label) you will find that you can only print one without a barcode as the barcoded stickers are no longer valid.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

There is no reason to do that - just get a roll of CN22s from your Post Office,

They should only be using and handing out the ones without a barcode.

The change occurred in October 2023.  Details via the link from a fellow mentor and Post Office employee.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/Customs-form-changes-when-sending-parcels-via-your-po...

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

It changed in October 2023

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/Customs-form-changes-when-sending-parcels-via-your-po...

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Thanks @jckl1957 , wasn't aware.

Use RM for international now.

Jo

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent