Negative feedback removal declined

I sold an item, buyer claimed they didn't receive it and opened a case. The tracking showed it was delivered, the buyer in their messages called me stupid and said they were going to leave negative feedback. Eventually I won the case but the buyer left negative. I asked ebay to remove feedback as I had won the case but their automatic decision was to let the feedback remain as 'it doesn’t violate any of our feedback policies.'

I just noticed the buyer has left 15 negs out of 25 feedbacks left.

Message 1 of 37
See Most Recent
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Negative feedback removal declined

Ive been an eBay seller for 20 years.I recently sold a coat which was correctly described. The buyer wanted to return it as she said it was 'filthy' ! I have never and would never sell an item in such a condition- what would be the point as it would harm my status. She left very negative feedback for me even after I refunded her. I asked Ebay to remove this but it was declined.  I really think that eBay use a standard descision without even checking the sellers past record, very unfair to say the least but there's no more action a seller can take. 

Message 21 of 37
See Most Recent

I'm interested in your statement that 9/10 people don't read feedback.  What is your source for this?

Message 22 of 37
See Most Recent

Seems to be a lot of this nonsense going on at the moment - I had 14 years of 100% positive feedback as a seller - have now had approx 6 or 7 negative/neutral feedbacks in the last few months - all leaving their feedback without bothering to contact me first - which I thought ebay was against? - are they other sellers out to try and bring down sellers with 100% feedback or buyers trying it on to get refunds etc?...still waiting for the latest incorrect negative response removed by ebay.

Message 23 of 37
See Most Recent

Ebay doesn't remove neutrals and will say it doesn't affect a seller's rating 😞  What are the reasons for the negs you have received recently?  In some circumstances it's possible to submit a statutory declaration which is a legal document and ebay will remove a neg.

There used to be a pop up message asking the buyer if they have contacted the seller first before they leave neg or neut but that is no longer the case.  Not contacting the seller isn't grounds for getting negs/neuts removed.

Message 24 of 37
See Most Recent

Thanks for taking time to reply. One negative was that an ornament arrived
broken after I had packed it really well. I paid for return but seller
wouldn’t do it- answers itself! Another was that the buyer said the pleats
in a NEW linen skirt I sold and wrapped carefully in tissue were creased on
arrival and she had to have it professionally pressed- it was washable and
would probably be creased if she’d bought it from a shop at full price!!
Just so hacked off with eBay and would welcome any info of how to go about
a statuary document.

Kind regards
Message 25 of 37
See Most Recent

The use of a statutory declaration is narrow and unlikey to cover these scenarios. 

In the case of a broken ornament etc the buyer needs to supply a pic showing the damage to confirm it and following that many sellers would refund promptly without the need for a return.  Requiring the need for a return of a damaged item would be likely to exarcebate an already difficult situation with the buyer.  I agree that it is likely that linen will arrive with some creases regardless of how carefully it is packed but I'm afraid ebay will just say it's the buyer's view of their experience.  

Message 26 of 37
See Most Recent

Buyer called me a liar, which I'm not. First response from eBay was to decline negative feedback removal.  I spoke with an agent and am now awaiting its removal. (Apparently defamatory comment and not allowed.)  Interestingly, the buyer threatened negative feedback, if I didn't refund £50 to him, but that wasn't grounds.  Should be thrown off eBay for trying to extort money!

Message 27 of 37
See Most Recent

Try this link.

ebay.com/sellerhelp/feedback

It may work.

Message 28 of 37
See Most Recent

my first return item on e bay was a broken ornament (cat).  The buyer said it arrived with tail broken and sent photo.  I paid for return and asked for the tail as well, i glued it on and kept it with the rest of my collection.  I had 150 and had decided to reduce that amount.  Not particularly cheap one either.  I always refund immediately even if i do not believe them (which in this case i did not, not the way i packed that cat and in particular the tail part) no point in not as i would lose out in the end anyway.  At least this way i got my cat back and she did not get to stick the tail back on herself, even if it did cost me....  Some things i just do not bother with getting them returned, each item has a different value to me. 

Message 29 of 37
See Most Recent

@bibelotsandstuff wrote:

Interestingly, the buyer threatened negative feedback, if I didn't refund £50 to him, but that wasn't grounds. 

If they sent that threat in a message it was grounds for reporting the buyer. As per eBay's feedback extortion policy:

"Buyers aren't allowed to:

• Threaten to use Feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in an attempt to force sellers into meeting their demands." 

Open the message in your eBay messages inbox - at the very bottom of the page there is a pull-down menu called "Action". Click on it then select the first option (Report message).

However, I believe eBay almost never removes feedback once it has been replied to.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 30 of 37
See Most Recent

Thanks.  I spoke to an agent once removal was denied.  Was assured by her that it would be removed within 72 hours, which is up this evening.  Unfortunately, I have left a comment on his feedback, so we'll have to see.

Message 31 of 37
See Most Recent

The CS rep was wrong as that is grounds as Ebay class it as feedback extortion.

Message 32 of 37
See Most Recent

I have since relisted and sold the coat which the first buyer gave negative
feedback for. The new buyer was very pleased with the coat and left
positive feedback.
I phoned eBay, firstly they thanked me for being LOYAL to eBay for 18
years, I asked them to now reconsider removing the negative feedback due
to the positive feedback received on the resale of the coat but it was
still declined. I did tell the agent that their decision was certainly not
fair and was told that buyers & sellers are both protected - I DON’T THINK
SELLERS ARE FAIRLY PROTECTED WHATSOEVER !!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, really going to reconsider
other options for selling.
Message 33 of 37
See Most Recent

That is so bad!!!! My 72 hours is almost up and the negative feedback is still there.  The buyer publicly called me a liar and, in more than one message, demanded a £50 refund in order for him not to leave me negative feedback.  Defamation and extortion, yet no removal of feedback.  Feel let down by eBay, as you must, too.

Message 34 of 37
See Most Recent

I've been using Ebay coming up on 20 years and I received mh 1st negative feedback. 

Tried everything to have removed no joy.

Message 35 of 37
See Most Recent

Unfortunately in my opinion there is nothing in that feedback that breaks feedback rules....hence the refusal to remove it 😞

Ones first neg does tend to hit you hard and it happens to all of us at some stage.

I currently am having to deal with a wannabe scammer regarding one of my sales.....i fear i may be negged too shortly.

Message 36 of 37
See Most Recent

I have had the same issue!. It seems that the new feedback removal process only protects the buyer. The buyer purchased an item which did not fit, we asked them to use the eBay returns process, they did this and eBay said that the buyer was responsible for this postage cost as we did not violated any policies. The buyer left a negative feedback saying that they were not happy about the postage cost. We did explain to the customer that the returns policy is dictated by eBay process. When I spoke to eBay agent to remove they said that this is not eligible for removal as it is a buyers opinion!. I explained that it is your policy that made the buyer responsible for the postage cost. eBay refused to remove. This is absurd and was of no fault of ours. 

Message 37 of 37
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: