My rights and repsonsibilities as a private seller

Hello everyone. I'm a private seller and I've recently sold a musical instrument which I described (as I thought) honestly and photographed extensively. The seller is now complaining that the instrument is not made of wood, as I said in the listing, but is possibly plastic and not worth what he paid for it. I don't think this is true, and in any case I wrote the description in good faith. He's taking the instrument to be checked out by a luthier tomorrow.
My question is, what are my responsibilities here? Does "caveat emptor" apply, or is it more complex than that? I'm happy to offer the chap a partial refund for the sake of goodwill, but if he wants to return the thing, do I need to accept that? Am I entitled to ask for a report from his luthier? Is there any allowance made for the fact that I genuinely believed I was listing the thing honestly? 
I'm not trying to wriggle out of any responsibilities here, but I'd like to know where I stand. Much of eBay's advice seems to be geared towards business sellers.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Just to add, ebay does not distinguish between private and business sellers when it comes to the rights of buyers using the money back guarantee.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

I'm afraid there are no allowances.    If the item is not made of the substance stated in the listing the buyer is entitled to a full refund.    eBay will enforce that. 

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Buyers have 30 days to return an item that they consider is not as described under eBay's Money Back Guarantee, and if your buyer opens an eBay item not as described return, they'll be required to send it back to you for a full refund of their original payment, and you'll need to provide them with a pre-paid returns label (if you don't provide a label, the buyer can escalate the dispute and get one from eBay, who will re-charge you for it on your next invoice).

You will get a defect against your selling account if you don’t accept the return and will lose your eBay final value fee credit if buyer escalates the dispute to ask eBay to step in, which they can do after 3 days. 

Guidance for responding to a return request can be found on this eBay page:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115&st...

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Just to add, ebay does not distinguish between private and business sellers when it comes to the rights of buyers using the money back guarantee.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Thanks people. I'll see what he wants to do tomorrow when he's heard what the luthier has to say.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: