Kirkland Minoxidil

Been trying to list Kirkland Minoxidil but now not allowed as it's a prescription drug? *bleep*? Yet I see other brands of minoxidil still on sale. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why it seems that only Kirkland minoxidil is being targeted? 

I've been buying and selling Kirkland branded minoxidil on Ebay for years and not come across this issue until now.

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kirkland Minoxidil

22 REPLIES 22

Kirkland Minoxidil

Though it can be bought OTC, it is certainly not something that should ever be allowed to be sold on a site such as this.

Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Perhaps the bots think it's meloxodyl which is a prescription anti-inflammatory painkiller medicine you get from the vets. Our dog was prescribed it for her limpy leg.

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@filthiestfish wrote:

I've been buying and selling Kirkland branded minoxidil on Ebay for years and not come across this issue until now.

Is that on another selling account?

You'd need to be a business seller in order to list that.

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

What are you talking about? You don't need to be a business seller to buy minoxidil or sell minoxidil on Ebay.

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Why is that?

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

@filthiestfish wrote:

What are you talking about? You don't need to be a business seller to buy minoxidil or sell minoxidil on Ebay.

Not to buy it, but certainly to sell it.

You mentioned you've been selling it for years, eBay must've noticed and clamped down. 

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Because I disapprove of non-standard medications being sold online without the consultation with a pharmacist or GP. This medicine sometimes requires a GP's prescription and you have no idea what other meds the buyer may be taking. 

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Indeed and this seller is incorrectly registered. 

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

I am not a business seller, nor do I need to be a business seller to sell Minoxidil, which I have done a handful of times over the course of my 20 years on Ebay. You can plainly see from my feedback number that I am not operating a business. You are assuming that because I have bought and sold on Ebay that I am operating a business. I have witnessed individuals selling minoxidil on Ebay for many years, because there is no rule against it. Since asking the above questions, it has come to my attention that Ebay have clamped down on sale of minoxidil in the UK (specifically Kirkland) due to the number of fakes sold. It's a shame that: 1) It has taken them this long 2)They are still allowing the sale of fake minoxidil from China.

Therefore now I know why I cannot list minoxidil or find minoxidil sellers from the UK.

From the responses I have received thus far, I can tell that you guys don't know what you're talking about and are passing your assumptions as facts.

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Can minoxidil be prescribed by a doctor? Sure. Can a doctor prescribe paracetamol? Sure.

Your argument has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

Just because a doctor can prescribe something doesn't mean that it shouldn't be sold without a prescription.

If that was the case then pharmacies would not be able to dispense any medication without a prescription!

Imagine not being able to buy from a retailer a hayfever remedy, or a common cold remedy, just because it's something that a doctor could prescribe. You make no sense.

As for minoxidil users, I'd wager that 99% of them buy it without a doctor's prescription, just because doctor's (at least here in the UK) don't issue prescriptions for it because it's used for cosmetic reasons. It would be great if the NHS would fund the use of minoxidil, but cosmetic reasons are low on their list of funding priorities, and rightfully so.

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

@filthiestfish wrote:

I am not a business seller, nor do I need to be a business seller to sell Minoxidil, which I have done a handful of times over the course of my 20 years on Ebay. You can plainly see from my feedback number that I am not operating a business. You are assuming that because I have bought and sold on Ebay that I am operating a business. I have witnessed individuals selling minoxidil on Ebay for many years, because there is no rule against it. Since asking the above questions, it has come to my attention that Ebay have clamped down on sale of minoxidil in the UK (specifically Kirkland) due to the number of fakes sold. It's a shame that: 1) It has taken them this long 2)They are still allowing the sale of fake minoxidil from China.

Therefore now I know why I cannot list minoxidil or find minoxidil sellers from the UK.

From the responses I have received thus far, I can tell that you guys don't know what you're talking about and are passing your assumptions as facts.

Not assumptions, we can only advise based on the information you provide. In your opening post you state that "I've been buying and selling Kirkland branded minoxidil on Ebay for years" which implies that you had more than than one unit of Minoxidil to sell.

Glad that you've managed to use Google to find out more information on selling this product, that's great, you now know why you can't sell it on eBay. 

Many products that can only be bought from a retail outlet where there's a pharmacist present (such as a Boots store or chemists). These items would be restricted on eBay. Usually, if it's a product that you can buy in a supermarket you can sell it, if it's a product that requires a licensed pharmacist to be on the premises you can't. 

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Many products that can only be bought from a retail outlet where there's a pharmacist present (such as a Boots store or chemists). These items would be restricted on eBay. Usually, if it's a product that you can buy in a supermarket you can sell it, if it's a product that requires a licensed pharmacist to be on the premises you can't. 

It also requires a public liability insurance policy from the person or company selling the product. The side-effects of Minoxidil can be pretty horrible as well as having the potential to interfere with many  medications, especially ERAs  (Endothelin Receptor Antagonists) which are used to treat conditions such as Pulmonary Hypertension. "Others are selling it" and "I have been selling it on and off for 20 years" are not legitimate excuses for exemption from litigation. 

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

There are a few listings for this but name not used in the title (very clever)

It's being sold as a hair restorer / regrowth treatment like Regain

The reason your'e being attacked for not being a business seller is that they assume your are buying the stuff to resell. I see your account doesn't have much listed and like me, I have many, many items that are not used but aren't new. Some listings aren't able to be listed as not new but never used so new or brand new has to be used. It doesn't mean you've bought it to sell it

The true definition of a business seller is someone who buys or makes/crafts to resell and you clearly don't do that and I assume you are selling unwanted gifts

Don't let others bully you into thinking you are breakng the law

To those who are attacking this seller: How can you assume that this seller should be a business when they only have 5 items listed and nothing been sold for over a year?

*If you want to make enemies, try to change something - Woodrow Wilson
*It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Actually many of us do and are only trying to advise. You are selling new items and therefore are improperly registered. And yes, this med can be prescribed by a GP: "It is available as a generic medication by prescription in oral tablet form".

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

I think people were 'attacking' the user because they said they have been buying and selling for years, that itself, is a business. 

If you are selling unwanted gifts, old clothes, items from your house you no longer want/need or a hobby you have fallen out of love with then thats fine, if you are buying to sell then you *should* have a business account.

I'd not say giving advice to a user which may protect them from breaking the law is bullying either but that is just my opinion.

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Because they are listing new products.

"The true definition of a business seller is someone who buys or makes/crafts to resell and you clearly don't do that and I assume you are selling unwanted gifts".

Says who? This is incorrect.

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

@mrs-trebus16 wrote:

To those who are attacking this seller: How can you assume that this seller should be a business when they only have 5 items listed and nothing been sold for over a year?

I can't see any attacking, I suggested that the OP may be restricted due to not being a business seller (I didn't assume that they had just one eBay account) based on what they said in their opening question "I've been buying and selling Kirkland branded minoxidil on Ebay for years ".

@mrs-trebus16 wrote:

The true definition of a business seller is someone who buys or makes/crafts to resell and you clearly don't do that and I assume you are selling unwanted gifts

A business seller is also one who buys items to resell, it's not limited to crafts. 

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

eBay doesn't allow private sellers to sell any type of medicine full stop; it doesn't matter whether they're prescription medicines or not.

Prescription medications are prohibited entirely whilst over-the-counter medicines can only be sold by business sellers registered with the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency at a minimum.

eBay's policy is very clear: 

• Private sellers are not allowed to sell medicine

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Kirkland Minoxidil

Thank you for that definitive response. Sadly eBay doesn't enforce its own rules consistently - if at all.

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: