Is there a way of listing the same item at different prices for overseas buyers.

Is there a way of listing the same item at different prices for overseas buyers.

So basically if I want to sell an item ( The same item & in same listing ), is there a way to charge different prices to overseas buyers ( I mean a higher selling price ) to cover the extra 2% ebay charge & to cover the extra % that again ebay charge for p&p costs.

I usually list via B.I.N / B.O for UK buyers, but could not afford to accept offers from overseas buyers, as my margins are so tight.

You could say well simply make the starting B.I.N price higher, but that would probably then have an adverse effect on potential UK buyers who may not bother as they thin the price is to high, so won't even bother to make offers.

But looking at similar items to what I sell, they do seem to sell for better money to overseas buyers from say the USA etc.

Failing that is there anyway to only make B.O available to UK buyers & only the full asking price to overseas ones, again in the same listing, but then I would not possibly getting the full potential again from overseas buyers.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

If it is a unique item - your listings suggest it would be - then no, there isn't a way to do what you want.

Actually, that isn't quite correct because if you were VAT registered and provided you didn't sell to the EU then eBay would inflate your selling price to overseas buyers anyway. But that's a different matter.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Thank you "Bathrooms".

I thought as much in all honesty, but always worth asking.

So my only way around it would to simply not accept any offers from overseas buyers, or carry on as I am & only sell in the UK.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

@keepsakesandkollectables  Or add a certain percentage to the overseas postage price to take account of the higher fees.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Yes that is another option ( Add % to p&p ) however if you look at my current listings I only charge what it costs to post.

So in effect currently I always lose out on both the cost of packing materials & the % ebay charge on postge costs that I do charge.

I do this to try & be "FAIR" for want of a better term & obvioulsy to stop buyers leving poor ratings for p&p costs, you would be amazed at the amount of buyers who seem to forget all about the "2nd P"  in p&p & assume that as if by magic packing materials such as boxes, tape, bubble ect are all free!!!!!

So I don't want to start all that adding bits on to p&p costs, especially to overseas buyers as lets be honest here, some expect a level of service far greater than mainly UK buyers as I can see it opening up a can of worms, with messages saying "You charged me a £1.00 or 50p to much" & then the obvois follow on of poor ratings & feedback left for me.

But i do appreciate your input "Rainbowtrax" .

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

By charging only what it costs you, you would be giving a sizeable discount to overseas buyers.

It costs me around £10 more (for round figures) to send an LP to USA, compared to UK. Forgetting the 30p fee which applies to all transactions, I am charged £2.17 EXTRA by eBay in commission, merely for the difference in shipping costs.

There is also the international fee on your item cost; add that and you are already giving your overseas buyers a huge discount. Don't feel bad by trying to recoup some of that. An increase in your shipping charges won't put off many potential buyers.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

There is a way.

We sell loads abroad and use best offer - we don't use GSP so set our own postage prices.  We use best offer and it is tricky when sending offers blind, but if we receive offers we know the  location so that is a consideration, but controlling the shipping costs is my best option.

Obviously others have suggested this but there is also free listing to consider.  If you are top rated and use the free postage option, you get a 10% discount on fees, that includes 10% discount on fees internationally, which means that not only are international buyers paying postage when domestic buyers are not, the 10% extends to international sales, including 10% discount on the fees for the postage element.   And option to consider, especially if you are losing a percentage of your profit on postage.

As you can now see a breakdown of each order individually, use offers on only a portion of your listings and analysis the profits of sales with and without best offers  - I think this breakdown is one of the best things eBay has ever come up with!

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: