Inviataion only, free listings until 15th April!

This will please some, and annoy others!

I have it on my other ID, but not this one.

From T&Cs

What's it all about?

• Get 100% off fixed order level fee of 30p and variable percentage final value fees ("FVF") per listing in final value fees if the item sells and pay no insertion fee.
  • Other fees, including any International fees, still apply.
  • Listings must start during the promotional period.
  • Listings can be auction-style or fixed price format.
  • The promotion start and end dates are included in the email we send to invited sellers.
  • Eligible listings must sell during the promotion period or within the first listing period post promotion end date.

Message 1 of 43
See Most Recent
42 REPLIES 42

More listings mean more space to put adverts and sponsored listings - primarily from business sellers who will then pay the enhanced fees which these sponsored listings generate.

More active listings will also give the executives bragging rights at the forthcoming quarterly report, Qtr. 4 2023, on 27th February.  This will, they hope, mitigate the poor quarterly results.

Message 21 of 43
See Most Recent

I have activated the offer but tried twice and cannot get it to confirm listing applies to the offer- like it does with all previous offers.

Under used/left just says available. 

So cannot trust no fees will apply!

If anyone know answer please let me know!

Message 22 of 43
See Most Recent

This is probably because private sellers make less than 20% of eBay's revenue, however, they are useful to drive traffic to the website (sadly, it seems to be eBay's vision:  small sellers capture traffic for the big sellers). So, in the end, this benefits also business sellers by increasing visibility, I believe that driving traffic is the main purpose since buyers have been leaving eBay (as well as sellers).

Message 23 of 43
See Most Recent

I would guess that is because it appears to be unlimited

Message 24 of 43
See Most Recent

@johgriffi94 wrote:

I have the offer but when listed an item it did not show as "1 used" as it normally does on other offers.

So how do I know the item if sells will have no fee?

Usually gives number used/left but just says "available"??.

If unlimited will not say number left but should say number used??.

It only give the number used/left if it is only a limited amount. There was a promo sime time ago that was different to the usual 70/80% off 100 items -that also just showed 'available'.

Message 25 of 43
See Most Recent

I would still expect confirmation offer applies to listing.  

Be helpful if says number used under offer and maybe instead of number left if unlimited- "available".

Only knowing if working after sale made bit unreasonable?

Message 26 of 43
See Most Recent

Ok thanks for reply.

So do I trust Ebay? hmm!!

Message 27 of 43
See Most Recent

I was told by ebay they roll this offer in batches. It is generated by the system so if your other account is in good standing there is no reason why you can't get the offer there too. You just have to wait a bit. I was also told this is not 1 time offer. They plan to do it regularly now on top of their 70% and 80% off selling value offers.

Message 28 of 43
See Most Recent

Yes did it on the main site on the selling page. Not the app.

But it still appears in the second bubble on app selling page which is strange as any promo appears first and this is what your listing is taken out of. Yet to list anything to see how it works. 

Message 29 of 43
See Most Recent

What a good do for private sellers who got the offer. Get listing. 

Those of us who pay business account shop subscriptions get such a raw deal on here in comparison. As they are feeling so generous they might throw a promotion our way next time. 

Message 30 of 43
See Most Recent

i see you have sold 2.7k items, thats a great deal of personal gear, maybe worth lookinhg at the new Digital selling laws.

Message 31 of 43
See Most Recent

It might just be marketing?

Get sellers hooked on the 'good' bits first  --  reveal the 'bad' bits later.  Like, a few down the line, reduce the max. number to 50, a few more then down to 30 items.  But who knows?

I now find it impossible to even guess at the true number of listings, even in a niche area like Art Deco Glass.

When I first started selling, that search (UK Only) would return about 18K results.  Over the years that went down to just about 10K.  It was obvious that on an offer week-end the results went up by hundreds of extras.  But that declined probably as sellers realised that even if they listed all day, any 'extra' sales were few and not worth the effort.  (Which probably supports your view)

The last few times when I could roughly work out how many extra listings there were, before ebay started seriously messing-up the search by only searching some 'fruitful' categories instead of All Categories, then profiling my buying habits, then 'Stream-lining', then by adding in all manner of Related Sponsored Listings, the total barely increased at all on Offer Week-Ends.

Now it's impossible to even guess how many genuine items there are on ebay.  The old categories are gone, the new ones so huge that the same search will start with 30K+ results and depending on how many filters you apply and in what order, you can get any total you like.  But, guesstimating from sales over the next week or so (or lack of any noticeable increase), I don't think there is any 'flood' of new listings.  At least not in that particular niche.

I agree with you in thinking that "...not many real private sellers promote listings...".  But because they don't, their ads. don't get seen and their sales are reduced, so they stop wasting their time listing stuff that never sells.  It's one of the reasons they're not selling here any more. 

Message 32 of 43
See Most Recent

Very true IMO.  Especially in a world where if I asked my family, friends, work colleagues, self-employed customers and even random people I spoke to in the local pub, when they last bought on anything on ebay, they'd likely say "Can't remember" or "Yonks ago".

Many private sellers are also buyers especially those with hobbies and collections and these days, when "the person in the street" seems to have forgotten ebay, they are about the only audience that has any real interest in visiting ebay regularly to check on their listings.

Then ebay took its wrecking-ball to Collectables Categories, something that my sales and probably those of many others like me have never recovered from and neither has my spending.  (Sold a total of 13 items last year and bought 2)

The fewer private sellers there are, the more the "Sales off a cliff" type of threads proliferate so perhaps ebay is right try to hang on to an asset that it has lost too many of already.

Message 33 of 43
See Most Recent

Yep thats me.  Get the 80% off every two weeks but have not received this one.   Saying that i didnt use the last 80% off promotion at all.

Message 34 of 43
See Most Recent

These actions are very confusing. The excuse ebay gave the February (2023) club for not receiving 70/80% offers was that promos flooded the system and affected sales so they reduced the number of accounts receiving promos and gave them randomly. Random for the club has been nothing for a year. A family account getting promos without fail has got this one also but not the club.

Message 35 of 43
See Most Recent

I got it, and accepted it, ironically though I made the mistake of selling my old camera gear which was way more expensive than my usual stuff so I'm dealing with the dreaded MC011 lol

I promote everything anyway but still much cheaper.  

Message 36 of 43
See Most Recent

Correct! This is an attempt to boost traffic- ebay feels very flat at the moment-things I'd selling quickly for fair money are slow and struggling.This is a huge offer by a company dreading the 'can I have your NI please'at the end of the year.So meantime its trying to boost traffic/members before a lot walk away.

Message 37 of 43
See Most Recent

My mum has had this offer but I have not, not even on my main account. 

So bit gutted has my mum does not sell much anymore because of the tax thing, as she a bit worried if she will get in trouble with DWP has she on the sick has she got bad arthritis in her hand, she only sells her own stuff and some stuff friends have given her but she a little worried, so great offers but maybe not beneficial to her anymore. 

Message 38 of 43
See Most Recent

It is a great offer for low value as well as high value items. Full fees made cheap items like dolls collectible clothing uneconomic especially as fees were charged on postage.  If the idea is it will drive more traffic to ebay hope it works. (still recovering from attempting to navigate search and buy a couple of things and entering the labyrinth of promoted/similar items blah and losing first thing i happened upon lol)

Message 39 of 43
See Most Recent

There is a recently viewed page on eBay which you might find useful to re-find the thing you first wanted, as long as you clicked on it it should be down the list somewhere.

Message 40 of 43
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: