Inconsistent eBay policy enforcement

Hi all,

Recently, I had found a game which wasn’t released in Europe or America, only in Japan. Anyways, I bought a few copies of this to sell on eBay as it’s really good fun and part of a very popular franchise! However, as mentioned, this game is a port from Japanese to English and therefore, goes against eBay policy (copyright infringement).

I, along with one other seller, had listed these and my page got reported and subsequently shut down. Naively, I hadn’t really thought about this not being a legit copy before selling on eBay but I did explicitly mentioned this was not a legit version of the game to ensure I wasn’t misleading the purchaser, but now appreciate this cant be listed.   

Problem I have is that I reported the other eBayer as I felt it unfair that I am being targeted by eBay  when the other seller is selling the same product as me. I had spoken with an eBay customer service employee who had agreed the other product needs to be removed. A week later, they are still able to list the product/item.

I did try to relist my item, but this got taken down again (and I’m assuming it was the other person listing as I was undercutting them, not proven of course, but is suspicious)

Question I want to know is why am I being targeted for my listing and not them? Seems to be one rule for one person and another set of rules for another. Surely eBay has to remove the other seller after I had reported a breach of copyright? Either way, I’m starting to get really peeved by eBay where its simply inconsistent in its approach to deal with members.  

Regards and thanks for your time,

Wato104

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First issue is the customer service agent, although may be correct just basically tells you what you want to hear so you end the call and seem happy. The other seller may have a legit copy, you on the other hand mentioned your copy was not legit so rightly got taken down. The second thing is buying to sell is a business practice (mostly) so you should be registered as one but thats not much to do with your complaints but it is a huge issue with the inconsistency of eBay.

Most reports 99.99999% will just be done by a computer, unless you get somebody within eBay who has any power, nothing against you but the chances of you getting to speak to somebody with that power via customer services is 0 unless you have another account which sells computer games with enough feedback to be invited to certain events where you can exchange email addresses.

Your account is now marked so if you relist the whole account may be disabled so best off not doing that, especially when you say in the listing the game may or is a copy, eBay may have saved you from a court case.

Its a big issue on eBay, mainly for the business v private debate but you've found its the same private v private, if you are found by the report bot you are basically screwed for selling that item.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

First issue is the customer service agent, although may be correct just basically tells you what you want to hear so you end the call and seem happy. The other seller may have a legit copy, you on the other hand mentioned your copy was not legit so rightly got taken down. The second thing is buying to sell is a business practice (mostly) so you should be registered as one but thats not much to do with your complaints but it is a huge issue with the inconsistency of eBay.

Most reports 99.99999% will just be done by a computer, unless you get somebody within eBay who has any power, nothing against you but the chances of you getting to speak to somebody with that power via customer services is 0 unless you have another account which sells computer games with enough feedback to be invited to certain events where you can exchange email addresses.

Your account is now marked so if you relist the whole account may be disabled so best off not doing that, especially when you say in the listing the game may or is a copy, eBay may have saved you from a court case.

Its a big issue on eBay, mainly for the business v private debate but you've found its the same private v private, if you are found by the report bot you are basically screwed for selling that item.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Right, i see what you mean and understand that’s mostly what any customer service will do. I also think your right RE: business practice, all be it, not my intention.

The seller cannot have a legit copy to sell as its identical to mine, it was never released in English and hence being illegitimate as mentioned. Regardless, the process and handling by eBay is disingenuous by the nature of applying one set of standards for one, and not another.

That said, thank you for your reply. Its much appreciated

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Sorry my understanding of games is a bit stuck 15/20 years ago, I thought you were selling a fake and they had a Japanese version they just purchased over there and brought back type of thing.

Same still stands, its just all done by AI, I've reported clearly fake shoes but the AI thinks they knew better and allowed the listing to stand as it didnt break an policy but everyone knew it did.

Yeah knew it wouldnt be your intention thats why I didnt go 2 footed on it, just mentioned it as thats where the inconsistency really shows on eBay. Best advice I can give though is to not list the game again as if its been removed twice, 3rd time probably will be a suspension.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent