Impossible to make a Claim for lost parcel sent via Royal Mail??

I sold an item on ebay and sent with Royal Mail, item was lost , I refunded buyer and put in a claim to Royal Mail, they say they need a copy of Paypal or bank/credit card statement or they will not pay the claim.

I have my ebay selling payments set to monthly so how/what am I supposed to show them?  My banks statement will never show the actually amount of the item i refunded as its taken off my ebay balance rather than out my bank.

Is there any point in ever sending with Royal Mail if I can NEVER claim for lost parcels?

Can anyone please correct me if i am wrong?

Why can you not speak the Royal Mail claims department in person?  It makes trying to claim impossible, but I guess that is what they want!

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Unless they have changed something then you should be able to claim, I used to send them the "sold" email, the messages from the buyer saying it had not arrived, the email proving the refund I had sent.

That was always enough, if you are a business seller then they will want proof of how much you paid for the item (not what it sold for). Without that proof they usually only send you some stamps!

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

I sent all that information and received this letter.

431415491_955107959950460_6115112847286382795_n.jpg

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

Hi, the same also applies to private sellers. I recently sold a used kids toy figure for £10.00 which I had purchased new, many years ago for around £20.

The parcel was sent signed for but never arrived. RM accepted that it was lost, so I provided them with details of the ebay listing and sale, but was informed that without proof of the original purchase they could only refund the postage cost, which they did in the form of stamps.

This is just their way of getting out of paying claims. If I had been able to produce the original purchase receipt I would still have only been able to claim the £10 sale price?

Therefore even as a private seller RM insurance is pretty much useless without an original proof of purchase.

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Is there any point in ever sending with Royal Mail if I can NEVER claim for lost parcels?

You can claim for lost parcels, but getting compensation is another matter.

I sent a £70 letterbox-size packet T48.  It was delivered to the wrong address.  Google images shows the buyer's property as a redbrick house with a letterbox.  The delivery image shows an external letterbox on a whitewashed wall.  This buyer has placed 30+ orders with me, so I have no doubt that she hasn't received the packet.  In fact, she sent me a Google image of a property around 20 miles away with the same road name - and it's a whitewashed property.

The claim was rejected as 'delivered'.  I responded to say that it was delivered to the wrong address and sent all the image data.  I have sent another three emails asking for an update - and none have received a reponse.

I am now seriously considering raising a small claims action against RM.    

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

Did she claim for Item Not Recieved on eBay or privately?  EBay would have rejected her claim as they use the same data the Royal Mail has. We can't guess the likelihood of a longtime  buyer turning to fraud, only look at the known facts.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

You could send screenshots or printouts of both the PayPal or Bank data for the sale and the eBay Item page which shows linked reference numbers so the two pages can be connected.

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

Call me dense but I dont understand your comment, could you go into more detail please?

I am a private seller.

I think im just going to give up with Royal Mail even though 2 member of my family members have worked for them for 20+ years, if I cannot claim for parcels they have lost whats the point of using them.

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

I have only claimed once in 20 years and sold hundreds of items (that's cursed things). It was a wind up toy that sold for £15 including postage. I got less due to eBay fees being taken off. Anyway parcel was lost and I was asked for screen shot of order and item number on eBay. Sent off the form and expected to wait weeks ...but 9 days later got a cheque for £15. 
This was about 4 years ago however.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

In 20 years i have never had a successful claim with royal mail. They are worse than insurance companies. They might as well ask for video of you wrapping it. 

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

It wasn't an eBay sale.  Seventy quid from an eBay sale?  Get real!

The buyer messaged me and I sent a replacement SD.  Even had it been an eBay sale, I would still have done the same because it's a long-standing business customer.

If the image had just shown a letterbox, I wouldn't have bothered to claim as there would have been no proof that it was the wrong letterbox.  However, it's obvious from Google Street View that it's the wrong property, particularly as there's the same road name in the vicinity and that road has whitewashed properties.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

To get a refund from Royal Mail the process is fairly simple

1 - get proof of postage - for items under £20.00 a simple certificate of posting is enought, for items between £20.00 and £50.00 signed for is required, for items over £50.00 special delivery is required

2 retain the proof of postage for at least 3 calendar months

3 If an item not received case is opened after a requisite delivery time, resolve the issue by refunding the buyer, wait for the confirmation and then print off the order summary, this is then the proof of value

4 Get a claim form from your nearest post office

5 complete claim for and attache proof of postage and proof on value and send off to Royal Mail Claims department which is Freepost

6 If in the event your claim is rejected - write to customer complaints which is also freepost

Lost letter guidelines - internal 14 working days after the due date 

International - 20 working days after the due date

Note: - even though Royal Mail deliver on Saturdays currently a working day is classed as Monday to Friday excluding public holiday 

Note: - if you have multiple lost letter items at the same time - do not send all in the same envelope - post each separately 

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

I used the online claim form and attached a photograph of my proof of postage and a screen shot of the ebay sale and a screen shot of the refund I had to give the buyer.  BUT as you can see in the letter I posted above in which they admit they have lost my parcel BUT they need a copy of my PAYPAL or BANK STATEMENT to be able to refund.  Showing what I don't know it doesn't say.  But if it is the refund coming out the account then I can never show them that as I do NOT have every transaction coming out of my account it comes off my Ebay credit.  SO its NOT SO SIMPLY to claim !  Its actually impossible for me to claim.

I could do with an email address or phone number to speak directly to the claims department but apparently they aren't customer facing, surprise surprise!

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

Considering the fact that I have had multiple successful claims against Royal Mail for lost post and I always follow the same procedure what I have stated in my first message is accurate.  Note Royal Mail will not pay out on photocopies of proof of postage, you have to submit the original proof of postage

As you sell on ebay, you can go to orders and click on the refunded order and the details will come up, you then print this off fill in the claim form and send along with proof of postage to FREEPOST Royal Mail Claims Department

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent