I've reached 29 items so far this year

Alas, I've reached my limit before HMRC come knocking.

It's been fun.

I will be back on 1 January 2025.

Enjoy.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maybe a bit of light humour for a change?  Instead of all the doom and gloom so often put on here where people pronounce on things they have no clue about.  I am just going to trot on as usual and if HMRC get in touch they get in touch, will deal with that when it happens.  I have just gone over the 30 but would take all year to go over the £1700 (and even then i doubt it would be anywhere near that much) so if they want to waste time on me then let them.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

I would not worry according to ebay your sales will not be reported until 2025  by which time you will have reached over 1 million sales  and retired to a tax haven where you can continue selling your personal items whithout the hindrance of HMRC income tax  

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

@destructor23 wrote:

Alas, I've reached my limit before HMRC come knocking.

It's been fun.

I will be back on 1 January 2025.

Enjoy.

You still have 10 items for sale.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

From what you've sold and are still selling I can't see why you think that HMRC would be interested in you?

You're clearly a private seller listing their own personal items. 

I can't see you tripping any of their algorithms. 

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Indeed, they've been their for weeks, maybe even a couple of months. I am hesitant to delete my hard work in putting the listings up.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

I do hope you are correct.

Time will tell.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

@dch2112011 wrote:

I would not worry according to ebay your sales will not be reported until 2025  by which time you will have reached over 1 million sales  and retired to a tax haven where you can continue selling your personal items whithout the hindrance of HMRC income tax  

1 million sales / 9 months = 111,111 sales per month = 3584 sales per day = 2.5 sales per minute

I don't think I could possibly cope with that volume and would probably need to invest in a new ink cartridge for the labels.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Not a problem - they will all be multi item orders - thing is to keep them all personal you will have to dismantle your house brick by brick, nail by nail, screw by screw, tile by tile - so I would invest in a tent and good sleeping bag which you can sell at the end of the year.

I wonder how much you can sell one used nail for on ebay ?   Would HMRC target you for selling multiple similar items? Would ebay deem you to be a business seller and then there is VAT let alone capital gains tax to negotiate.

I would research the extradition treaties the UK has  before dashing off to the tax haven, I believe there is no extradition from the Antartic - mind you I would keep the sleeping bag -damn the profits !

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Total nonsense. HMRC say the has been no change to UK tax liabilities. Stop trying to scare people.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

@destructor23 wrote:

Indeed, they've been their for weeks, maybe even a couple of months. I am hesitant to delete my hard work in putting the listings up.

So your original post was incorrect then.

What was the point of it?

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

maybe a bit of light humour for a change?  Instead of all the doom and gloom so often put on here where people pronounce on things they have no clue about.  I am just going to trot on as usual and if HMRC get in touch they get in touch, will deal with that when it happens.  I have just gone over the 30 but would take all year to go over the £1700 (and even then i doubt it would be anywhere near that much) so if they want to waste time on me then let them.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Exactly Kath.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent