FREE for Private Sellers to Sell Pre-Loved Clothing Items on .co.uk as of Today! *08/04

Hi folks,

As from today, it's now FREE for private sellers to sell any pre-loved clothing item listed from today or those pre-loved clothing items already listed which sell from today (8th April) will not be charged any basic listing fee's or FVF's. Optional extras fee's still apply.

Obvious items excluded: - Accessories: hats, footware, watches, bags, jewellery ect.............

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/fashion-selling/#

11.png

Happy selling! 😊

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 1 of 133
See Most Recent
132 REPLIES 132

FREE for Private Sellers to Sell Pre-Loved Clothing Items on .co.uk as of Today! *08/04

These Platforms have other ways of making their money from a sale of clothing, one being the Buyer paying a Mandatory 5% buying fee. Their Full Business Model is online.

eBay offering no Sellers fees at first may encourage new Private Sellers Accounts, but is makes me wonder how their fees will be generated in the future & will it effect other Categories being sold on eBay.

Message 21 of 133
See Most Recent

At first I thought it was used only which is bad enough. Yet after you pointed out, their meaning of "pre-loved" includes brand new items, has basically wiped out my entire business, or at least it's the start of the end.

The niche will now just grow and grow with sellers. People will be trying absolutely anything to sell it (such as walking into a high street store, buying something on sale, listing it for free and if it doesn't sell in a week or 2, taking it down and returning it for a full refund). Many will be rubbing their hands now at the thought of starting a clothing business on a private account. 

For those it doesn't affect now.... It will eventually when they next introduce buyer fees and up the general selling fees in other categories to compensate. 

Message 22 of 133
See Most Recent

555njp
Conversationalist

This move is

1. To compete with Vinted and DPOP and

2. To try to stem the number of private sellers disappearing from eBay because of the new HMRC rules.

However, makes zero sense as come next January, those 'private' sellers that have drawn the attention of HMRC will inevitably disappear anyway.

Also keeping them here but with zero fees is no good for eBays bottom line, unless eBay hope buyers will also purchase something else attracting a fee?

Then what about the genuine businesses that will be forced to close?

Sounds like a lose, lose, lose to me 🤷🏽‍♂️

Madness!

Message 23 of 133
See Most Recent

@btr.style wrote:

At first I thought it was used only which is bad enough. Yet after you pointed out, their meaning of "pre-loved" includes brand new items, has basically wiped out my entire business, or at least it's the start of the end.

The niche will now just grow and grow with sellers. People will be trying absolutely anything to sell it (such as walking into a high street store, buying something on sale, listing it for free and if it doesn't sell in a week or 2, taking it down and returning it for a full refund). Many will be rubbing their hands now at the thought of starting a clothing business on a private account. 

True that - that's known as the TK Maxx selling model 😀 - buyers were purchasing loads from them, listing it and then returning any items that didn't sell within the store's 45 days returns policy right up until TK Maxx noticed and limited the amount of returns from any one customer. 

On private selling accounts, naturally. 

Message 24 of 133
See Most Recent

@ile136yz wrote:

These Platforms have other ways of making their money from a sale of clothing, one being the Buyer paying a Mandatory 5% buying fee. Their Full Business Model is online.

Yep, I'm very familiar with these platforms. I was just pointing out that it was only a matter of time before eBay noticed that there are no seller  fees for these platforms (and a couple of others such as Vestiaire) now, so if you're listing some bits from your wardrobe it was making little sense to list them on eBay. They had to play catch up. 

Message 25 of 133
See Most Recent

does this include no fees on postage? i use royal mail and I go to post office. 

Message 26 of 133
See Most Recent

I am a business seller selling second hand and new clothes....seems to me really unfair - my fees are going up - lots of private sellers are selling loads of items - I don't get it 

Message 27 of 133
See Most Recent

@twinklestar90 wrote:

does this include no fees on postage? i use royal mail and I go to post office. 

Good point for Sellers who list their postage separately.

Message 28 of 133
See Most Recent

I agree - I'm gutted too - I feel like giving up tbh. It is hard enough but now this - can I set up a private account now! I am a business seller of clothes? Bet I can't! 

Message 29 of 133
See Most Recent

@sarahq1962 wrote:

I am a business seller selling second hand and new clothes....seems to me really unfair - my fees are going up - lots of private sellers are selling loads of items - I don't get it 

@sarahq1962 wrote:

They hate small businesses and sole traders.  It's the only thing I can conclude.

Big businesses are always fine as they can absorb the cost.  

If this all happened in my category I'd be closing my Ebay shop today

Message 30 of 133
See Most Recent

Hi

My honest opinion is ...

You have some really nice quality clothes listed so hopefully this change will not affect you too much.   Not everyone wants Primarni 🙂   Plus i presume you may well have a lot of repeat customers.

Try and hang in there

Message 31 of 133
See Most Recent

I'm not sure I fully understand. If you list as new with tags because you have something in your wardrobe that you bought and never got back to returning it , then it's still second hand but not as if you had worn it for years. So are you supposed to list as new other?

Message 32 of 133
See Most Recent

ebay proving yet again business sellers dont matter.
if Businesses were really the beating heart of eBay, then clothing fees would be free for all not just private sellers, ebay are giving businesses more and more reasons to move on to other platforms, instead of trying to pull lost sellers back from vinted, perhaps trying to look after the sellers that have stayed loyal to the platform. Soon as Vinted Pro goes live alot of the businesses wont need ebay anymore. like why am i paying £92 a month for a shop, why am i paying high fees for every item i sell, why am i paying promotion fees because thats what you have to do these days to sell anything. I sell on other platforms and sell twice as much as i do on ebay but those other platforms dont rinse my income like ebay does. Business sellers get nothing, where are our fee reduction weekends, wheres our pay no fees, WHERE IS OUR INCENTIVE TO SELL ON EBAY!, other platforms need to take advantage of ebays down fall and raise up. time to dethrone

Message 33 of 133
See Most Recent

there is also the point that even private sellers will be affected because the more there are the less sales anyone person/business will make.  I keep all my items on regardless of whether it is a 70/80% weekend or not  and it is noticeable that i rarely sell at those times because of the sudden flood from those waiting for the promotion to appear.  E Bay are probably hoping that everyone will rush to pay to promote to help make up for the loss of fees.    It will also make it more difficult as a buyer  (with e bays brilliant search system) to find what they are looking for.

Message 34 of 133
See Most Recent

I think considering they've had the promos and 1000 listings a month, many of whom abused the fee promo selling as a business, they've had more than an easy ride so far. 

For those that are genuine private sellers... I'm afraid someone emptying an old cupboard of unwanted clothing (who could otherwise give it away, sell to friends, have other options, to donate to charity) to free up a bit of space bears almost no significance when compared to businesses who will end up going under after this announcement. 

Of course there is exception to that if someone is selling some of their clothes they own to desperately raise money to buy food or pay the rent. 

For most clothing businesses on eBay now it's either break the rules and make a private account to sell, sell elsewhere or go under. 

It doesn't sit right with me, not just for my own business but for all the other ones, even competitors who trade legally on business accounts. Years of struggles against those private business sellers abusing the fee promo and now this. 

I'd strongly advise any businesses selling clothes on eBay to get the ball rolling now. It may be weeks or months until the full effects are felt, but it's going to hit hard while eBay sit back laughing taking 10, 20, often even more thousands of pounds a year from their earnings. 

Message 35 of 133
See Most Recent

They should follow suit with FREE FVFs for business sellers of used clothing. They could add a criteria that they need to have FREE postage and FREE returns. The businesses that wish to follow this model could then do so. It would be great for buyer traffic and may help with bringing back some of those who have jumped ship to vinted and depop. Both younger and silver surfers have found that listing is much simpler on vinted. 

Message 36 of 133
See Most Recent

eBay could have done things in a number of ways. Free for all sellers but with a buyers fee, reduced for business sellers and free for private, only on used items for private sellers, even with a limit of listings. 

What they've chosen to do though is with full knowledge of the many private business sellers on eBay already, knowing all about vinted and the business sellers there (when they aren't allowed to sell on there), is the worst possible thing which will only hit business account sellers of clothing. 

Already today I've gone home. Normally it would be exceptional service sending off items today but I've shut the doors of our business premises, sent everyone home and have gone home myself. After seeing this my cares about negative feedback and defects have reduced to zero. 

Message 37 of 133
See Most Recent

They could have gone with a reduced flat fee of 5% for all right across the board - an incentive to everyone.

Wonder when the first thread will be, from a disgruntled private clothing seller, complaining that they had a “no returns policy” but had to give a refund because of a (false) INAD case.

And have to pay for the return postage or forfeit the item.

And then they disappear back to Vinted or Depop …………………….

Message 38 of 133
See Most Recent

Is this to trick business sellers trading as private sellers into listing enough items that it will draw HMRCs attention to their listings? 

Anyone selling more than £1700 worth or a certain number of listings will be invited to fill in a self-assessment form in January 2025... 

Message 39 of 133
See Most Recent

HI, to all business sellers of clothes - at least contact ebay and tell them how you are feeling - I know people will say it does not good but if we all do it! Like more than once too! Better than sitting doing nothing - I agree - this seems the final straw - my only hope is so many will start selling and they will get v low visibility without paying for the upgrades....bit like Vinted - I really don't get how they say people are private sellers and get 1000 free listing?? 

Message 40 of 133
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: