FREE for Private Sellers to Sell Pre-Loved Clothing Items on .co.uk as of Today! *08/04

Hi folks,

As from today, it's now FREE for private sellers to sell any pre-loved clothing item listed from today or those pre-loved clothing items already listed which sell from today (8th April) will not be charged any basic listing fee's or FVF's. Optional extras fee's still apply.

Obvious items excluded: - Accessories: hats, footware, watches, bags, jewellery ect.............

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/fashion-selling/#

11.png

Happy selling! 😊

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 1 of 133
See Most Recent
132 REPLIES 132

FREE for Private Sellers to Sell Pre-Loved Clothing Items on .co.uk as of Today! *08/04

Sarah, as far as postage goes, I have for some time been buying the 48 Hour Royal Mail Tracked Service, drop off on eBay. It doesn't matter about the weight, as long as it's UNDER 2KG.   When one of my older listings sells, before 48 Hour Tracked was available on line, then it will have been second class RM signed for.   I still send 48 Hour Tracked.  Entering the exact weight is optional.  I understand 24/48 hour tracked should now be available over the post office counter, but there would appear to have been a glitch so I don't know whether this is fully operational yet.

As far as switching listings from a business account to  a personal account  - if you sell 'one offs' as we both do, you have to have carefully been cataloguing your photographs.   There is no way to just  'transfer' the listings.  If you haven't been that meticulous , then the link I posted at message 108 will help with the images

The link:

https://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/CaptureThumbsFromListing.htm

This enables you to download the pictures from an existing listing and save them as a zipped file.

As far as the description goes, I've found no other option but to copy and paste.  

Hope this helps.

Message 121 of 133
See Most Recent

eBay may think they have been clever with their timing of this announcement, waiting until all the furore about the HMRC reporting issues had died down. I wonder if they may have shot themselves in the foot.

Apart from the dismay this has caused to so many genuine business sellers, many of those who will now list huge amounts of clothing, or who will now see the opportunity to run an eBay business without paying fees, may get a huge shock when they eventually find out that their activity is being reported to HMRC. I'm sure most of them know little of their potential obligations to HMRC, let alone their legal obligations as online traders.

Just wait until they realise. For many, it will be too late.

Message 122 of 133
See Most Recent

Yes, One private seller is liable for tax when earning £1,700+  And, that particular seller can't/doesn't want to  list more as their NI number is on record.

Replace that one seller with ten because of the incentives of free listing/FVF and you have generated ten times the income.

But just how does eBay benefit from this?? No listing fees, no FVF's.  Someone has said more traffic equals more buyers.  Are the buyers going to support business sellers when they're being undercut by people masquerading as private sellers.

Honestly,  l've really lost the plot. 

Somehow there's a bigger picture that we're all missing.

Message 123 of 133
See Most Recent

so vinted must be biting e bays a*** is this supposed to bring the buyers and sellers e bay lost flooding back 

had a look at the listings loads of items but no bidders.

suppose its a start must if you want to revive e bay and get back those you lost you,ll have to do more than this.

im probabably better off talking to the wall though 

Message 124 of 133
See Most Recent

But just how does eBay benefit from this?

Advert sales

Message 125 of 133
See Most Recent

The site needs more buyers coming back rather than sellers imo. With the money they'll lose from fees they may as well have sent everyone a voucher to use on site to try and tempt people to return

Message 126 of 133
See Most Recent

The site needs more buyers coming back rather than sellers imo.

Have you tried to buy on ebay of late?

Auction ending time jumps around.

Search function very lacking.

Descriptions false now due the AI inserting fictional information and details.

Check out fails.

Very difficult to combine multiple items to consolidate on postage charges.

Zero communications with ebay if you need help.

To name but a few issues.

Sellers sell on site despite ebay rather than with ebay.

Message 127 of 133
See Most Recent

having just read throught the official replies on "Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 10.04.24 @2pm", its very clear ebay are so out of touch with its business sellers its unbelievable. They are clueless or simply dont care about the business sellers.

the advantages they are claiming this will bring arent advantages what so ever, and the benefits they claim we get as business sellers are simply not advantages.

tbh i feel like the additional charge that ebay added to was to cover the loses they will face from giving free fees to private accounts.

its clear this is a response to vinted and depop free fees, and in america mercari  just went feeless for business sellers, vinted pro will soon be available and wont have fees for business sellers, yet on ebay I have to pay £92 a month for a shop, listing fees for everything over 1.5k listings per month, selling fees, promotion fees, GSP fees, Regulatory operating fee.... and ebay wonder why the business community are angry

level the playing field, field what you claim is right by free fees will bring more buyers.... give it to businesses too, join the other platforms and move the cost on to the buyer.

Message 128 of 133
See Most Recent

on top of this, ebay claim it will bring more sellers to the platform who do you they will buy from? the private seller who can under cut everyone due to no over heads or fees or the business seller who has to account for fees and overheads. ebays reasoning will not benefit businesses, it will negatively impact us.

Message 129 of 133
See Most Recent

Ebay is moving profit from sale fees to promoted listings and additional fees, like the one just implemented.

Also, they need to battle with Vinted, etc. by bringing more users to the site, ergo improving market share. Everyone is the winner, certainly apart from Business Sellers.

Message 130 of 133
See Most Recent

We've had similar problems as we sell a lot of cds & DVDs (or used to) the combination of the several postage hikes from the Royal Mail plus ebay charging a percentage on postage on every sale and then they allowed a few very large companies come in and basically take over ebay. They are so huge they dictate the prices so it affects everyone. They can sell a DVD with free postage for less than it costs us to actually post out! Since the last Royal Mail price increase our sales have plummeted - we are just throwing away £30+ each per month on shop fess and selling virtually nothing. They are now turning their attention to ruining everyone else's chance of making a living. I really feel for you as I know from our experience how it affects you. If ebay carry on this way soon they won't have any small businesses left on their site - all they will become is an outlet for the few huge companies with millions of feedback ratings who are taking over and putting everyone else out of business. Ebay have forgotten it was the small businesses like ours who helped them to be successful in the first place. 

Message 131 of 133
See Most Recent

@flynns_collectables wrote:

on top of this, ebay claim it will bring more sellers to the platform who do you they will buy from? the private seller who can under cut everyone due to no over heads or fees or the business seller who has to account for fees and overheads. ebays reasoning will not benefit businesses, it will negatively impact us.

I wouldn't worry about it! I've not had a single eBay personal clothing sale since this BAD idea was implemented.

eBay just keeps finding ways to mess up any remaining categories that actually pull in sales / fee's.

Too late if eBay think sellers are going to return or arrive because the damage had already been well and truly done well before this new down the pub idea..............

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 132 of 133
See Most Recent

I do not sell a lot but since 31/3 i have sold one item of clothing.   Can see most of mine going to the car boot toward the end of the season.

Message 133 of 133
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: