Estimated delivery given to international customers are wrong.

I have just dispatched an International order today to a customer in Czechia (Czech Republic). 

This is the dispatch page, which is something I rarely view. But something caught my eye. 

As you can see, it shows the date sent (20th February) and states it has told the customer they might get this item in 2 days. 

Really, Royal Mail? International Customs after Brexit, then local mail. 

I also know from experience, this is highly unlikely, if not impossible. 

Why does ebay give such a short delivery timeframe, it just sets us all up for dissapointment (including customers). 
A lot of ebay's systems and estimated delivery times are just setting us all (inc. ebay) up for failure. I don't get why they do this?

Image1.png

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Whilst the estimated delivery date is very optimistic starting at 2 days, it does say 22nd-29th, so the buyer would expect it between those dates, which is an 8 day window, meaning they wouldn`t be able to open a claim for not received untill the 30th, so i wouldnt worry too much just yet.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

eBay seems to come up with overly optimistic EDDs for domestic (UK) delivery, so why would they do any different for international?

At least in this case the EDD window is 8 days, so while it's not realistic to expect the item to arrive in central Europe in 2 days, 9 days should be enough.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Just so EVERYONE knows. It's still not there and Royal Mail have said 'It's in transit'. Today is the 29th. 

It will arrive but I wanted to put it into perspective for ebay, that this is really unrealistic. 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I'm not sure what it's like recently since I've done a lot less GSP since before Christmas. In December the EDD was being too pessimistic for Royal Mail delivery to the UK (rather than the usual 24 hour too optimistic). Here's how it looked in December.

On the 15th December the EDD quoted for Royal Mail Tracked 48 delivery 

to the UK (like Lichfield where GSP is) by the 29th to 30th

to Germany (via GSP) by the 22nd to 23rd

I brought it up but apparently it's all working as intended.

I had a customer in Germany trying to buy a present for his wife and wanted it delivered for Christmas. I had to inform them of the reality and mutually cancel his order.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Yes, I also noticed this over Christmas, that Royal Mail and the post office amended their last postage dates to very early December and yet eBay were offering my international customers expected delivery within days. I switched off international early.

ebays Uk estiamtes are renowned as poor (especially during bank holidays where someone forgets to extend them)

However, the international estimates for Royal Mail are make-believe. I knew with confidence that the item image would never get there in the estimates, especially 2 days. Most items don't leave the country until the 3rd day. 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent