Confused by open case and not being able to respond

A case has been opened with the following wording :-

"Your buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on 03 Oct, 2023. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution. They're requesting £10.00 back, and the reason for this dispute is that the buyer didn't recognise the transaction"

The buyer appears to have disputed the transaction via their bank and it is saying the tranaction is not recognised and not that the item wasn't received (although that's possible)

It appears that you can not reply by saying what the payment was for without providing a tracking number and there isn't one. I have proof of postage but not a tracking number. So without a tracking number I can not advise what the transaction was for. As it doesn't say the item wasn't received I would guess I will also have problems claiming against the Royal Mail.

Is there anything I can do or do I just need to accept and move on? 

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Read what Ebay say about payment disputes:

How to handle a payment dispute

If you contest the dispute and lose it, there is a fee.  I couldn't quickly find the amount, but it is about £15.

In this case, as you can't prove delivery to the buyer's address, I would accept the dispute and reefund the payment.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

If the proof of posting is from the post office it should have a barcode number on it.

It will be above where is says weight of the item.

If you enter the barcode number into the royal mail tracking website it might tell you if it was delivered.

EBay and Royal Mail call them tracking numbers but unless it's something like RM48 tracked it's really a proof of delivery number (if the postie remembers to scan it).

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

@jckl1957 wrote:

If you contest the dispute and lose it, there is a fee.  I couldn't quickly find the amount, but it is about £15.

Thanks for the reply. I don't wish to contest the dispute but simply supply the information as to what the transaction was for as I'm told "buyer didn't recognise the transaction" but it seems it's a case of "I don't recognise this transaction - Oh OK here's your money back" without the middle step of being able to advise what the transaction is for.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

The reason given for the payment dispute is a generic eBay description.

For a "don't recognize transaction" you need to supply proof of delivery. As directed above, check your proof of postage and whether there is a usable reference number that shows proof of delivery on Royal Mail website. An explanation of the item, description of packaging etc. is of no use.

If you don't have proof of delivery you will lose the chargeback, so it would be better to accept the chargeback than challenge it and lose then get charged another fee (£12 or so).

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

@rjwilmsi wrote:

The reason given for the payment dispute is a generic eBay description.

Telling me that "the buyer didn't recognise the transaction" is not generic, it's quite specific. If that is not the reason then eBay have misinformed me.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

It is the right reason, but your only defence is online proof of delivery to the address the buyer used at checkout. 

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

This is a chargeback and dealt  differently as the buyers bank are requesting proof of purchase. You will not win without a tracking number and marked delivered no matter what you say  You could attempt to claim from RM if you have a receipt from the post office when you dropped it off.  

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

@simplyessential_uk wrote:

This is a chargeback and dealt  differently as the buyers bank are requesting proof of purchase. You will not win without a tracking number and marked delivered no matter what you say  You could attempt to claim from RM if you have a receipt from the post office when you dropped it off.  

Proof of purchase and proof of delivery are not the same thing. I can easily provide proof of purchase but not of delivery. I doubt if the RM would payout as the buyer has not said the item wasn't received.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

yes my error - Meant to say Proof of delivery thanks for correcting

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

I have this exact same issue with a digital gift card code, there seems to be nothing that can be done. So make sure for every future sale you have TRACKED delivery. 

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

@ja82447 wrote:

I have this exact same issue with a digital gift card code, there seems to be nothing that can be done. So make sure for every future sale you have TRACKED delivery. 

That was bound to happen - that's a scammer magnet, they look for digital gift cards and then issue a chargeback. Not an item I'd recommend listing on any online selling platform unless you can get cash on collection.

Even if you can prove delivery they'll say that the code was already used.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Without tracking number you will lose the case and get a £14 (used to be) fee charge for it on top of the refund. I would just accept it and move on and learn, always send tracked

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent