Charging a buyer for a return label

Hi, if a buyer wants to return a garment because it doesn't fit and is willing to pay for the return label, how does that work, because every time I have accepted a return, ebay automatically charges me for the return label and refunds the full amount including the original postage, so even if I graciously accept returns because the buyer changes their mind, I have had to pay the original shipping and the retirn shipping. Is there a function I am missing? Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Your listings say you do not accept returns so the only way a buyer can open a return is a not as described case which the seller pays the label for. If you accepted returns the buyer would be charged for the label for a change of mind or does not fit return. 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

If the buyer opens a return for "doesn't fit" or "changed my mind" then they pay for the return postage label. Your refund still has to include the original postage cost.

As a private seller you don't have to accept returns for change of mind, though the buyer can still open those returns and you have the option to accept or decline.

As a private seller listing multiple brand new items you may find yourself on thin ground if you are actually selling/trading for profit and don't accept returns (that would be against the law / distance selling regulations). So I think I'd be sure on this occasion to make sure you allow the buyer to return the item at their cost, and I'd consider whether accepting returns on "buyer pays" basis would be the better option for you in future.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent