Buyer wants refund after over 20 days

Hello,

I sold an item over 20 days ago, sold as new other. I've recieved a message today that the item does not work anymore. The item is not in warranty, I'm not a business/shop and it was working before it was sent as everything was checked/tested. The buyer never left me feedback. I can't find the rules on return limits etc.. any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Your buyer has up to 30 days after last estimated delivery date to open a case. If its not working then it would be an NAD - in which case you are liable for the postage return of the item.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Your buyer has up to 30 days after last estimated delivery date to open a case. If its not working then it would be an NAD - in which case you are liable for the postage return of the item.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

You can find "the rules" By clicking on the eBay Money Back Guarantee on your listings.

Has the buyer opened an Item Not As Described case or just sent a message?

If they open a case then it is best to accept the return.

You can read about returns in "Help" on any eBay page.

The buyer not leaving feedback does not impact their ability to use the MBG. 

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

They have 30 days from the day they received the item to open a claim on Ebay.

If they open a case for item not as described then you can either authorise a return postage label to get the item back, or you can refund them & the buyer keeps the item

If a case is opened & you do not respond to it Ebay will auto refund the buyer & give you a defect on your account.

If you decide to refund then it is best to refund through a case rather than via messages so you get your final fees back & a defect is avoided.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

"I'm not a business"

As you are holding stocks of brand new items you are a business seller but trading as a private seller in violation of eBay rules and the law.

So your buyers have virtually unlimited rights and a serious problem could arise if they turn to trading standards etc.

In the current climate [eBay to HMRC] it would be advisable for you to read up on the relevant rules etc.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

You do realise that from Jan 2024, eBay are giving HMRC (The "Taxman) all sales data from sellers? 

You will be required to give eBay your National Insurance number once you hit the limit for sales

If HMRC believe you are trading, you will be required to complete a Self Assessment 

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Yes, I'm aware of that thanks and posted something about it recently. A tax accountant has reassured me HMRC will only be looking for businesses masquerading as private sellers.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

A tax accountant has reassured me HMRC will only be looking for businesses masquerading as private sellers.

Can't argue with that!

Photobucket

"Take deep breaths, it'll soon be gone"

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent