Buyer dispute from bank for item received

We've had a payment dispute for an item order on 13th September and recieved (tracked 48) on 18th September, saying they don't recognise the transaction. 
This was a troublesome transaction, as the buyer bought a ring in the wrong size and asked for a exchange via a message. Once we said, very politely, they would need to pay for the postage back (as advertised on all items for sale) they just bought the correct size. 
Now they are saying via their 'payment institution' they don't recognise the transaction.
We could dispute it but we haven't done that before, will it impact our seller standard? Any other negative impacts we need to be aware of?
Royal Mail shows it was delivered and the name given there was the first name of the buyer.
Thanks for any advice 🙂

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

They get seller protection from this sort of claim as long as they have online evidence of delivery to the address ebay gave them, as set out in the Payment Dispute policy.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Put 'payment dispute' into the help search box, that will tell you about seller protection and what you have to do to get it.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

I'm not the best person to help you as, touch wood, I haven't had a bank dispute to deal with. Personally, I would reply to the dispute with screen shots of the order with price and buyers details, and also the messages regarding the refund. You haven't done anything wrong so I would pursue this and also speak to CS. It shouldn't affect your account but they can make a note of it and also report the buyer.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

They get seller protection from this sort of claim as long as they have online evidence of delivery to the address ebay gave them, as set out in the Payment Dispute policy.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Good to know!

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks both, appreciate the advice! I do have the evidence to show it was delivered with a signature and the first name of the buyer included. Hopefully it's just a mistake on their part rather than something more nefarious. It's a bit of a scary email to recieve as a relatively new seller, so thanks for the reassurance 😊

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

You have some wonderful items at very reasonable prices. Best of luck with your new business and scour the boards for advice and pitfalls which may help you along the way.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Lovely of you to say, thank you ❤️

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Are you allowed to use the name of a gemstone in your title if what you're selling isn't actually the gemstone it just looks like it?

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

No, that would be keyword spamming and against eBay policy.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

We recently had three disputes, transaction not recognised.

The buyer bought from a number of sellers and opened 13 cases - well, were a small group of sellers who buy and sell from each other, I think we are all collectors as well a being helpful to each other, and the buyer eventually admitted she had got all the items, stating she would contact her provider.

Upshot is we lost one case and won two.  Basically because we couldn't provide tracking.  I have threatened to take the buyer to court over this, wasn't a large amount but she has my item, and a refund and I had to pay a fee to boot.  Getting the New Year out of the way before I start this malarkey, as she has confirmed in writing that she had the item and bought them herself after first claiming her mother used her card to buy all the items!  The other sellers had a mixed time of it as well.

Made no difference at all to standing as a seller, and we would not have lost if we had had tracking.  Ebay actually seems to have no much to do with the action, other than refunding and taking the fine on behalf of the provider. 

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Nightmare buyer, commiserations. 🙁

Still, if some of the 13 purchases show delivery to the buyers address their card provider should be looking at fraudulent claims here, that many will definitely raise a red flag.

It's a shame you can't find out who their card provider is and report them (though I would be calling their bluff and informing them that you will be reporting them for fraud to their card provider, along with the other sellers, and that they'll end up facing a fraud investigation unless they can quickly rectify this).

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks - I'm normally a wise old hector and treat stuff like this as the equivalent of shoplifting in the real world - its happens.  But this one really got my goat, she got really uppity with one of the other sellers, accusing them of being mean and nasty - and then she had the temerity to criticise me because I completely foretold how the whole thing would pan out and that she would be stealing my money!    Of course, when I suggested that the least she could do was refund my refund, never heard a peep from her!

Anyway, I have always suggested that the small claims court was a good last resort, time to take my own advice.  Heck, if nothing else I think I'll get £20 worth of entertainment from this - it only costs £20 under the simple procedures in Scotland, and I'll get £20 worth of education and, with luck, the name of the provider!  First thing I have to do is write a letter, and as this lady has been a repeat buyer for some time, as well as blaming her mum before admitting it was herself buying, I am going to enjoy writing it - thanks for the suggestion of the fraud angle, something else to include!  And, of course, as I am aware of most of the sellers involved, the fraud becomes quite significant!  Watch this space!

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent