Buyer Management: Buyer requirements settings not working correctly

Here is what is set:

X  Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought "1"  of my items in the last 10 days.

X  Only set this requirement to block buyers with a Feedback score: "5"

This is blocking a buyer with 186 Feedback received, a feedback score of 81 and no negatives!
Ebay's systems confirm that they are blocking because of the first parameter. (I.E. the second is being ignored.)
Why ebay ???  Please tell.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You will probably have to go to eBay with that question.

Had your buyer had a break from buying?  It's possible eBay only take the last 12 month's fedback into consideration. 

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

No, the buyer was active and had made other recent purchases and had both received and posted recent feedback.  As I understand it the feedback score of 81 reflects the previous 12 months.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

there seems to be a technical glitch, as there are a few threads of the same nature on the boards appearing in the past couple of days.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Check/reset in 'My eBay' > 

fargvs_0-1708426662500.png

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Already did that > see original post inc. attachedment screen shot. 🙂

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks Tommy, I did look for similar threads at the time of my o/p but none popped up - maybe I was one of the earlier sellers to come across the issue. I did report it to ebay a couple of days back so hopefully they are on it now.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Update: Ebay sent a daft reply which might suggest they don't understand how their own systems should function:

" This is a follow up in regards to an issue regarding buyer requirement set on account wherein your buyer was blocked from purchasing another order even though they had more than 80 feedbacks on account.

It was escalated and here is the reply-

We have gone through the issue you have reported where seller states that their buyer is unable to make second order, even though they had feedbacks of more than 80.

On checking we could see that the seller has enabled both the options that is:

1. Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days. 

2. Only set this requirement to block buyers with a feedback score: 5 

According to Product development team: As per this rule, both the above conditions should be true. The buyer will not be blocked if condition 1 is not met. 

We see that the buyer has purchased other item already on 17th Feb from this Seller in last 10 days or winning an auction. Because of which they are blocked to buy the second item."

I've referred it back to them explaining to them how their systems are supposed to interpret these two rules:

You are misunderstanding or mistaken.

Rule 2 is a sub-set of rule 1. Rule 2 is used to condition (or modify) rule 1.

The correct understanding is: 1. Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days BUT 2. Only set this requirement to block buyers with a feedback score: 5

Hence: if answer to rule 1 alone = true >>> BLOCK
but: if answer to rule 1 = true AND answer to rule 2 = true >>> DO NOT BLOCK

This matter was reported because ebay systems were not operation these rules correctly.

Please refer back to your product development team.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Not sure if this helps and i know it doesn't resolve the obvious clear issue, which even i can see, but you can add the buyer to your 'exemption' list, where none of those settings or blocks would apply, they can then buy from you normally.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Yes, that is the work-around *knight-rider* but it is reliant upon the buyer making contact to advise of the problem. There's no guarantee of that, of course. Otherwise it negates the purpose of setting the buyer requirements because it is not selective and overrides all.

The real question is why do ebay not understand how their own systems are supposed to work (!?). It seems from the reply I received that as ebay no longer seem to comprehend what they had set up originally they have more recently 'tweeked' their systems based on their own misunderstanding such that it no longer works as it should. That's pretty diabolical when you think about it. Even ebay should be able to see that the second 'rule' is a sub-set of the first because the text line entry is indented, making the intent rather obvious..., well obvious to anyone applying common sense. Hence the preface "Only set this requirement... etc."

For the record: Below is the response received from ebay to the further referral shown in my previous post (green text):

Note the text I've highlighted in red. Somewhat contradictory, it seems to me.

Thank you for writing back to eBay Customer Service, my name is Archana, and I am delighted to help you further with your concern. I understand you are contacting us in regard to buyer requirement set up on your account. Rest assured I will make sure this is handled promptly.  I went through your account and checked with escalation team as per out team buyer requirement as designed. We continuously work on enhancing our site on regular intervals based on the suggestions or feedbacks received from our valued members. Your feedbacks are valuable for us and we really appreciate you for the time you have taken for sharing the suggestion. I have forwarded complaint to the team from my end.  We appreciate the opportunity to resolve all of your concerns today.

If you still need any help then you can reply us on this email or you can initiate call back from below link:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5190 

Please stay safe and take care. I wish you and your beloved ones a Good health!  Thank you for contacting eBay Customer Service. We wish you success with your current and future transactions on eBay.

Best Regards,  Archana D. eBay Customer Service

This inbox is not monitored, if you would like to get in contact please follow this link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/home

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

You could raise this on Wednesday's live chat with the eBay community team from 2pm-3pm. 

A buyer can easily get to 6 feedback by buying 99p items from sellers who automate positive feedback so personally I don't think there is much point in it even if it was working properly. Setting it at 0 makes more sense but still loses sellers too many perfectly good sales. 

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

There is a point to it, technthread. It is there to prevent vengeful or errant 'bad actors' from opening / using 'fresh' ebay accounts to deliberately bid / buy without intent to pay in order to spoil auctions / listings. There was a time, and perhaps is still, when mischievous persons would bid / buy for 'fun' or what they considered to be revenge. These buyer requirements were establish to mitigate such behaviour.  Such people typically don't go to the trouble of buying multiples or 99p items (plus shipping) and having them delivered in anticipation of receiving six positive feedbacks in order to circumvent any set buyer requirements. Even if that were an original intent, the inherent delay provides time for refection and reconsideration, or stupefaction to wear off.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent