Beware! You can be defrauded and ebay won't care

SR 1-472-372553961

I just wanted to warn sellers because i Have just been robbed of £33 by a buyer and ebay wouldn't step in. I remember in the days when Paypal handled payments, and if fraud was shown to be involved to the bank by Paypal, a seller could get their money back

I just sell old stuff from my father and mother's attics and a bit of my own stuff and have 100% feedback

I did this buyer a right favour by reducing 3 items and then sending the package recorded delivery to his friend in the UK since he lived in India

Anyhow, he raised a case of non receipt after 4 weeks and I checked the tracking and it showed it was still with the Royal Mail so I paid him out after 2 days, as ebay encourage you to settle early. So, a few days later, I went to make a claim from the Royal Mail and low and behold, the item have been delivered or collected one day after I paid him his refund. Was he having a laugh?!

So I messaged him twice for my money back since his mate had collected the item

No Reply (The Beatles)

So, I rang ebay up since I knew that Paypal had got my money back due to it being proven as fraud, robbery or whatever back in the day

Ebay said that it was my own tough luck since I had paid out 1 day earlier than I should have and if I had waited a further day, he would have closed the case since his friend had picked it up

Sure thing, ebay, especially when he is not answering my messages

Then they talked about the tracking details as if it was my fault. They said the tracking details showed it had been delivered and I advised them it was collected. Working on probability theory, there was just a one in thirty chance or 4% of it having been delivered, whereas for picking it up after receiving the money back, the probability of this would be far larger. But ebay don't work on logic. They just allow fraud to happen to innocent people and don't defend them. They just accuse you of being guilty by because you refunded too early

So I have the person's name and address who picked up the item who was illicit in the fraud. I will block original buyer when I stop messaging him, advising how I will sue his friend in the small claim's court and getting a police form filled out. But how do I find the user name of the person who I sent it to and block him?

It's weird. I have been cheated. Ebay don't help even though I buy a lot off their site. So I will stop buying from there and tell my friends not to.

In life, stick up for yourself when you have been wronged. I will definitely be suing the receiver in the small claims court and I don't care if I lose. At least it will reveal how I was cheated

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

Hello

I've had a similar experience, where a buyer opened an INR case when their estimated delivery window hadn't even elapsed! This was at a time when Royal Mail was very busy (just before Christmas), and experiencing delays. They timed it just right and I was forced to issue a refund through the INR case (as I didn't want the buyer to request that 'eBay step in', as this may cause further damage to my account).

eBay said that because I issued the refund myself (due to their scare tactics), I wasn't eligible to have the refund reversed. I called them on the phone, and the customer service agent just kept repeating whatever I said, preceded by 'I understand that'.

Luckily the value of the item was only £25. It does raise some concern as to how eBay would deal with a similar situation if it was a higher-value item. 

Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

You have learnt the hard way to read rules unfortunately.  It was the buyers responsibility to collect the item. Your responsibility was sending with tracking. You would have won the case if the buyer had opened one.

Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

I did send with tracking and the buyer opened a case and a day later after full refund, it was collected/delivered

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

You shouldn't have refunded after a delivery attempt and wouldnt have been forced to. Its the buyers responsibility to arrange a redelivery or collect themselves. 

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

Why refund when it was classed as delivered?!

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

If you sent it to the address given by eBay [and not any other] and if you sent it tracked [as you did] then you would be covered by eBay's money back guarantee if Royal Mail merely "attempted delivery".  It seems very odd that RM kept it for a month as they return after 18 days.  [This is what they say -We hold items for 18 calendar days before returning them to their sender, so any Redelivery date must be within 18 calendar days of the item being available for collection from a Customer Service Point or local Post Office branch. 48 working hours' notice is required for a Redelivery.

Did you enter the tracking details when you despatched the item?

It's not fraud as [it seems to me] you simply did not use the eBay system correctly.   "Attempted delivery" is enough under eBay's rules and you simply should not have refunded.    

@ringo969

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

Those are some pretty big attics.

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

Our mum was 93 when she died last year and she hoarded and she had our stuff and she visited these weird foreign countries in the 50s as a nurse on the Cunard line and our father was a radio.officer on the Queen Mary and Elizabeth and served on the Mary in WW2 then yep. Better than our lives now

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

@ringo969 wrote:
Our mum was 93 when she died last year and she hoarded and she had our stuff and she visited these weird foreign countries in the 50s as a nurse on the Cunard line and our father was a radio.officer on the Queen Mary and Elizabeth and served on the Mary in WW2 then yep. Better than our lives now

I can't argue with that, illustrious lives.

Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

No television days

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

Nor internet.

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

@wesleausti_4 wrote:

Hello

I've had a similar experience, where a buyer opened an INR case when their estimated delivery window hadn't even elapsed! This was at a time when Royal Mail was very busy (just before Christmas), and experiencing delays. They timed it just right and I was forced to issue a refund through the INR case (as I didn't want the buyer to request that 'eBay step in', as this may cause further damage to my account).

eBay said that because I issued the refund myself (due to their scare tactics), I wasn't eligible to have the refund reversed. I called them on the phone, and the customer service agent just kept repeating whatever I said, preceded by 'I understand that'.

Luckily the value of the item was only £25. It does raise some concern as to how eBay would deal with a similar situation if it was a higher-value item. 

If it was a higher value item, you wouldn't get eBay involved, you'd send a signed-for letter to the delivery address stated on file (with the person's name) and request that if they don't reimburse you for the funding you will pursue the matter further by means of a Small Claims Court action.

And if you've got tracking that proves delivery/attempted delivery etc, let eBay step in, because you'll win.

Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

Not Internet?

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

Always check the royal mail site for tracking, they will have detailed tracking and will show a delivery attempt. If he picked it up the next day then they must have already tried to deliver it so you would have won any case opened against you

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

There is a bit of a pattern here, ebay operational process management could not care less about the hand that feeds them that much is factual and obvious (the seller that pays the fees). I can not get my head around this at all ebay management must have a right laugh about how silly ebay sellers are to my mind ebay seller are as well off as the Post Masters 🙂 I just dont like fraudsters as i work hard for my money.

I sold items recently buyer missed the delivery changed their mind the tracking clearly states a redelivery needs arranging by the buyer (As I cant tell buyer when they need to be home) and ebay refund the buyer by debiting my account the same day with no chance for me to respond, despite the buyer not fullfilling their side of the contract to rearrange delivery if they miss the first delivery attempt.  I lost the item, the funds paid and the postage fee. Ebay did not even bother to check tracking status, how is it my fault the buyer cant be bothered to rearrange the delivery is anyone's guess. We as sellers are paying, ebay management are taking our money and they laughing all the way to the bank, we are the mugs here. 

Buyer opened a not delivered case ref: 5329695703

I suspect the buyer changed their mind at some point and didnt want the item having paid it but no truble ebay will debit my account without investigating. He did tell me in ebay messaging relating to the case all sorts of stuff and blatant lies which is all visible to ebay but we know ebay dont care at all about the seller (fee payer). Buyer told me some blinders: 1) Told me just claim insurance money from the post office. (Yeah right, I dont have 20 years and 50 milion to deal with the post office) 2) Buyer told me he didnt get missed delivery card and didnt miss the delivery as he was run over by a fork lift truck so he was home bound. 3) Buyer told me rearranging  RoyalMail delivery web page didnt work, he said, then he went to pick the package up and they didnt have it. (How did he do that if he was hurt by a fork lift truck?) Anyway you get the idea.

Seller protection doesnt seem to exist, there is an endless amound of web page links which are looped around and dont amount to anything just go back to square one 🙂 

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

Except if his intention was to defraud me, which it was since he is not replying to my messages, then he would not have picked it up until later

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Yep same as mine. But when this happened to me when we were using papypal, paypal stepped in and got my money back from their bank, but ebay don't do that even when it is obvious I have been defrauded and they can see that he is not replying back to my messages

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

How can you not refund when tracking shows not delivered after one month? Things can get lost even when they are tracked

So I checked tracking when case was open. Item showed undelivered. What can I do except refund knowing I can claim refund from Royal Mail. And the next day it is delivered/collected!!!! What a cheek!!

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

Still the same, tracking would have shown a delivery attempt even if he did set out to defraud you by picking it up later.eBay would have taken that as delivered

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: