A question about Business rates ?

Does business sellers have to pay any business rates to sell on eBay ? 

any information will be great. 

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you're selling from your own home you don't need to pay business rates in most cases; Government guidance is here.

However, if you rent your property you'll need to check your tenancy agreement as many residential tenancy agreements prohibit running a business from the property. If you own the property you'll need to check your buildings and/or contents insurance as running a business may invalidate any policies you have, especially if you are keeping stock at the address. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-business-sellers?id=4809&st=3&pos=1&q...

Use 'help & contact' top left of your Ebay page for general queries like this.

Put in your search term to get ALL the relevant information straight from Ebay.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Are you asking about selling rates

Or

Running a business from home business rates

Astronomy is looking up
Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

@addmhat.18 wrote:

Does business sellers have to pay any business rates to sell on eBay ? 

any information will be great. 

Are you asking about eBay's fees or business rates charged by your local authority (local council)?

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

I am asking about business rates not ebay fees 

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Running a business from home business rates 

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

If you're selling from your own home you don't need to pay business rates in most cases; Government guidance is here.

However, if you rent your property you'll need to check your tenancy agreement as many residential tenancy agreements prohibit running a business from the property. If you own the property you'll need to check your buildings and/or contents insurance as running a business may invalidate any policies you have, especially if you are keeping stock at the address. 

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

i live with my parents so would it be change anything ?

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

@addmhat.18 wrote:

i live with my parents so would it be change anything ?

Do they rent or own the property? As mentioned, if they rent the property then running a business from the property may be a breach of their tenancy agreement; it doesn't matter who is running the business. If they own the property any building and/or contents insurance may be invalidated.

Note there is a difference between working from home and running a business. Most tenancy agreements and insurance policies allow people to work from home but this typically means an employee working remotely or a contractor whose job is to answer the telephone; i.e. the actual business is established somewhere else. If you're trading from the address then the business is established at that address - as you need an eBay business account to trade legally the address will also be publicly viewable on your eBay listings.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

they own it 

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

@addmhat.18 wrote:

they own it 

In that case your parents need to check their insurance policy; many domestic insurance policies state the whole policy is invalid if a business is operated from the address. This is because - amongst other things - if you're keeping stock at the address it will be deemed more likely to become a target for burglars. If the property was ever subject to a burglary the insurer wouldn't just refuse to pay out for any business stock stolen they'd refuse to pay out for anything - even personal possessions - as the policy would be deemed to have been invalidated in it's entirety.

Your parents' insurer might offer additional business insurance for a small additional cost. If you're only keeping stock at the address and posting it out the additional cost should be quite reasonable depending upon the value of the stock. However, if you are planning to allow buyers to collect in person the cost will likely be much higher as this will increase liability - the insurer might insist on a separate public liability insurance policy.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent