Small Brownfield Pottery Jug

I'm posting from the USA--put this little jug on the Pottery and Glass discussion board there but no one was able to help. I'm hoping someone in the UK will be able to tell me more about it.

The jug is 4 3/8" tall to the lid handle and about 3 1/4" in diameter. It's impressed "Brownfield" on the bottom with "5/79" and then another word that looks like HASS.

What I'd like to know is what the odd little characters are--the barrel figures that appear to telling some sort of story. The same characters are done in negative (like a photo) on the black part of the body.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Janice

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Whoops--posted the same photo twice--here's more!

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Hello & welcome Janice,

This jug was produced by William Brownfield & Son(s) of Cobridge, Staffordshire. Without knowing what the backstamp looks like I can't date it more than saying it would have been produced between 1850-91. If you can post a photo of the bottom of the jug showing any markings I can probably narrow the dates down for you. Cobridge is part of Stoke on Trent by the way. If I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to leave a message here or contact me on affordablecollectibels@inbox.com

Kind regards

Terry

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

By the way thsi is not a jug it's a small tankard and the lid is to stop anyone from adding anything to your drink while you were not watching!

Terry

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

OOPs, I've just looked at the jug again and agree it is a jug! As for the artwork I'm sorry I have no idea as I have never seen it before.

Terry

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent