Post Office Price Hike April 2024 - Beware of Changes in Compensation Levels

I think we are all aware of the price hikes that came into force today.  However what you may have missed and need to check is the change in compensation rates.  I posted a Small Parcel 2nd Class Signed For  earlier today.   The price has risen from £4.69 to £5.09 but the compensation offered has dropped from £50 to £20.  In effect a stealth price rise as it would have cost me £9.95 to post my item with a value of £42.   The compensation bands are now ludicous to say the least. Anything with a value of £21 to £750 costs from £9.95.  For an expensive item in the hundreds that seems reasonable but  for a parcel with a low value that seems ridiculous.  

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

"compensation offered has dropped from £50 to £20.  In effect a stealth price rise as it would have cost me £9.95 to post my item with a value of £42."

I guess this is true if your only option is to pay in person at the post office.  TBH I have no idea why anyone pays at the post office anymore.

Click and drop online small parcel:

2nd class signed for = £4.59

Tracked 48 = £3.39 and still includes £150 compensation

You don't even need a printer because RM emails you a QR code you can show at the post office if you want them to print the label.

Signed for doesn't offer you any additional protection over Tracked 48 as far as eBay's concerned so I don't really see the point in using it.  Majority of the time the "signature" is just scribbles by the postie anyway.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Tracked 24 and 48 don't exist on the post office counters system.  As I found out today. So had ti send 2nd class signed for fir extra £1.20 and hope it gets there as value is over £20.

Expect a lot of fun and games as more peeps discover this massive RM cockup

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

I never have to deal with the "fun and games" because I simply buy my postage online and generally pay less as a side benefit.

That was my entire point lol

I'll say it a second time: I have no idea why anyone pays in person at the post office anymore.

I understand that the PO is currently unable to sell T24/T48 labels (again why are you trying to buy labels there?) but they can certainly accept them.  I know this because I dropped off 14 Tracked 48 parcels today with no issue.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Yes, I spotted this last night when I was updating my post costs. I too was very disappointed with the lack of transparency in this very big change. I had just paid for quite a few recorded delivery items - all with values just below the £50.

I have now had to revise my shipping policies to be based on the Tracked 24 / 48 profile.

I have kept a few of the cheaper letter / large letter options where it still works out cheaper than a T24/48 750g Large Letter.

I suspect that it will all go to T24/48 in the near future, and then the cost will increase.

I appreciate the comments that buying postage online is cheaper, but for me it takes up too much time and I would rather get the person at the post office to do the job.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: