Most reliable couriers within UK and International? Evri failed, so did Royal Mail

Hi there,

It's getting more and more difficult to find ways to dispatch items here on eBay; mostly because they seem to presure sellers to use tracked methods or else they keep the funds on hold for 10days (at least in my case) and I can't afford that (private seller). Have had several chat conversations about this with customer service.

For high value items I use Royal Mail Special Delivery within UK. That has worked so far. But what service do you use for lower value items (up to £100?). I have used Evri once and already that parcel is lost somewhere on their network and their customer service is like their service. What other options do you guys use that have tracking?

Same with international tracked: have used Royal international tracked mail for a lower value parcel and that too is now somewhere lost by the looks of it. For higher value items I use UPS which was brilliant and they have a drop off point nearby. But it's too expensive for lower value items ... once more: what other couriers do you use for tracked internationl shipping?

I am limited as to drop off points for services as I am fairly rural.

Last time when I cleared some of my stuff by selling it on ebay I used Royal Mail all the time and in those days (years ago) they had various means of tracking and never a missed delivery. Seems everything is being done to stop people from selling ... or do I have just a stroke of bad luck?

Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers, S

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Most reliable couriers within UK and International? Evri failed, so did Royal Mail

I don't think you can send anything untracked nowadays apart from maybe small light/thin items via RM.

Maybe not all are actually "tracked" but 99% of couriers issue a number that can be used to show delivery.

I do agree though that not one courier supplies the same service they did a couple of years ago.

More workload but less investment in staff ,vehicles and logistics/planning.

I.E. more profit/less customer service.

Just recently i had 3 small postcard sized items delivered by Yodel.

They all arrived on same day ,at different times ,by 3 different vans/drivers ,all within a 2/3 hour slot.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Yes with regards to not being able to send anything untracked within UK. But which service to you people succesfully use, regularily?

When I post international, I will have to stick with UPS even though it's pricey but at least they do deliver. One would think that there would be a great business opporutinity to be made by offering excellent courier services as more and more people shop online since all small shops have dissapeared from town.

I can't list using the global shipping option when I list an item as I never know which courier best to use depending on country. So I have to add to the listing that non-uk buyers are welcome but that they need to ask for a shipping quote first. It's a nightmare compared to years ago.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

There are lot of national courier companies in the UK offering different types of services. And you can select any of the company based on your requirements. For example, if you need the same day delivery service, you can select national couriers company. As my experience with them from last couple of years has been brilliant. Because they make sure that the parcels won't lose the quality while shipping and delivering. Also, charge the reasonable, you can consider for the courier services.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

I have used YODEL many timea (on "vstakhov" account) and i have NEVER EVER Recieved a complaint. Mabye just my store and depot are good, but thats what I say. Hermes SUCKS though. Almost always a game. 

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Also, there have the options of selecting different vans for your shipment within the UK. So, you can select the size according to your products. I've just researched upon the successfull delivery that national couriers direct contains the huge network of 3500+ vans drivers. So, you get the same day delivery by hiring the most nearest driver. 

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

they are too expensive

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

No, it's not just you. There are problems with delivery services. Breaking the Royal Mail monopoly was a Thatcherite Tory policy which has increased "choice" but lowered quality massively and ruined Post Office branch businesses leading to massive closures. The few are richer but the rest of us are poorer. I sell mainly using 2nd Class with a tracking number that shows delivery. If it is not worth paying £4.19 for that, what is the item worth? What is your time worth? The few times I've not used a Tracked service, guess what? The items have not arrived. It is as though cheats just look for the sellers that are a pushover.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

According to the latest news stories Yodel is about to fold, my experience of them is that they are rubbish.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Royal Mail is overpriced... as the day I started using them they LOST the parcel. And AGAIN! 

But I do thing the monolopy was a good thing.... and remember Packlinks "sale".

Honestly, I believe using those Starship robots would save YODEL/Evri.

£2.88 for tracked Yodel, you (with TRACKED) cannot compete with MusicMagpie (unless you get ps4 games for pennies)

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

poor you... and poor YODEL. Evri is not going to be the same,,,

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

you are not alone!  I am fed up of having to pay royal mail, them losing the parcel or not delivering and me having to pay twice....I may not use ebay again unless they improve postal services.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Generally I buy my postage of Parcel2Go they are much cheaper than eBay and have some good postage!

Need letters? Whistl. (never needed them but I think they track)

Need 1-5kg TRACKED with up to £2,000 insurance (P2G £2000 hidden, Standard £25)? YODEL Direct

Need 5-20kg?  DPD

Honestly, P2G has REALLY good "claim-compensation" thingies BUT beware of "prohibited items for insurance"

RM sucks thesedayds

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent