Are Christmas non-barcoded stamps valid?

As in the subject, really. 

Thank you.

====================================================================
Just love Ebay
Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

All stamps are barcoded now.   Those without a barcode are not valid.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Sorry, but that is inaccurate. 

Definitive stamps (those with no value, just 1st or 2nd class) need a barcode and the old ones are no longer valid.

Commemorative stamps, such as Christmas issues and all others are still postally valid. I use them all the time 

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Have you googled it?

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Just to confirm - this information is not correct. Your older Christmas stamps are still fully valid and note they CANNOT be returned through the Royal Mail Swap Out scheme (as they are still valid).

The Royal Mail just issued Spice Girls commemorative stamps on 11th January 2024 - these do not have barcodes. No commemorative (picture / theme) stamps issued this year are likely to have barcodes.

Basically the definitive (Queen's Head) stamps without barcode are invalid along with a few other very specific stamps. Commemorative stamps (with a picture design) as far back as 1971 are still fully valid. We use several hundred older, valid non-barcode stamps on outgoing orders every week.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

The main problem I find is that stamp prices have gone up so much that it's getting difficult to find envelopes big enough to fit several low value Commemoratives on. I've got albums full of 3p to 20p values, trying to fit them on a standard Christmas or Birthday card is beginning to be something of a challenge. 

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

I just had a buyer send me this picture, it is a Christmas second class stamp that has been marked as the stamp is no longer valid for postage, yet it is a Christmas stamp?

I'm confused as to why this has happened?

Or is this not a Christmas stamp?

IMG_20240117_195650.jpg

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

@collegefreaks2000 , yes that's a Christmas stamp and yes, it's still valid. Looks like RM don't know their own rules. Here's their own info page: Know where your old stamps are? | Royal Mail Group Ltd - see the bottom FAQ. Best thing to do now would be to refund the buyer then use that photo to lodge a complaint and demand a refund. They'll probably only give you stamps instead of money and I doubt they'll admit to being wrong but as long as you get at least the value of the fine then you're good.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I think Royal Mail have screwed up here, although there is still a lot of confusion, particularly among their own employees.

As far as I understand it, and according to Royal Mail's own website, it's what they confusingly call "everyday stamps" that are no longer valid.

According to the Consumer Council website

What you need to do

• check if you have any ‘everyday’ stamps which don’t have a barcode. These ‘everyday’ stamps are easily identifiable as they have a plain coloured background with a picture of the Queen. See examples above.

• Christmas stamps and special stamps (ones with pictures) are exempt and will remain valid for postage after the 31 January 2023. So you won’t need to worry about these.

•  use up any non-barcoded ‘everyday’ stamps where possible or swap these stamps for the new barcoded version.

I'm not sure if you can post links on here, but if you Google National Consumer Council Royal MAil Swap Out, it will give you more info and also a Customer Services number to call and complain

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Failing that, I'd use Rainbowtrax far clearer post to get your money back

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: