EBAY TAKING MONEY ON ACCEPTED OFFERS - HOW DO I DELETE MY DEBIT CARD NUMBER PLEASE

Hi

can anyone help me please.  I have made two offers on goods and both accepted.  I have noticed that the money is taken automatically from my account when accepted.  I am not happy about this at all.  I have tried to delete my details via account settings and it is not allowing me to remove the details of my card.  I really dont want to shut my ebay down, but I will have to if I cannot delete my card.  Can anyone advise me please.  Thank you in dva

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

EBAY TAKING MONEY ON ACCEPTED OFFERS - HOW DO I DELETE MY DEBIT CARD NUMBER PLEASE

To stop debit card automatic payments you have to delete your card then add it again.

It's typical of eBay not to let you though.

On this page https://ppcapp.ebay.co.uk/myppc/wallet/list  are you getting a pop up box like this?

Screenshot_2023-12-13-18-53-35-705~2.jpeg

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

I'm guessing that eBay devised this policy to prevent buyers offering, being accepted and then not completing the purchase.   Shocking!

I cannot see any reason for unhappiness.

EBay has access to your designated payment source so as to pay in your net sales money and to remove money for cases etc.   @murgraff 

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

I also had to put my card details in to be able to make an offer, which was subsequently refused by seller. I objected to eBay saying they would use this card for future orders too. How do they know I want to use that card next time. Also what if someone gets access to my account and makes numerous offers that get accepted!!  I went into payments and removed the card details.  

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi.  thanks for reply.

In Sellers hub, there is a section called Payout method.  Its in there that i cant remove my card.  It lists the last four digits of my account.  I have tonight escalated a complaint as Ebay have advised me that they cannot remove the card details if I dont replace it with another account.  i have told them this is illegal and that I want my card details removed.  They even suggested I close down my ebay account as this is the only way they can delete my card details.  i am furious about this as this is an illegality in the UK. I am awaiting a response to my complaint.  They also suggested i contact my bank and close my account down.  This account I have had for 32 years.  I told them I am certainly not doing that and it is their responsibility to remove my card details.  i do not intend selling anymore so why shoudl I need my card details kept in the Sellers Hub?  i will update this thread when I have received a reply.

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

Yes in the payout method. it has a delete button but when i delete it says you have to enter another account details before this card can be deleted.  This is illegal practice and i have escalated to a complaint today.  they have suggested, i close my ebay down and also I shut down my bank account and open a new one.  I have had my account for 32 years and i am certainly not doing that.  Its just really unprofessional. I have been an ebay customer for 17 years and buy regularly and sell rarely.  Why woudl they treat customers in such a way.  i will update thread when I get a response from them.

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

I say yes, the same, but not quite.  The window comes up at the side of Payout Method.  It has a delete button but when clicked it says cannot delete unless I put in another account which in itself doesnt make sense if you wish to remove all details.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

I just followed the link that  douglaspuglas posted and it took me to my own account.

All it showed me is that the card i had linked to this account expired years ago as i stopped selling over 4 years ago and i have never signed up to MP.

So ,i'm assuming the card that was linked to my Ebay account was their to pay any Ebay fee's etc and NOT anything to do with pre approving a payment if i made any offers.

I'm left wondering if this is not an Ebay issue but a Paypal one.

Since this pre approvable thing came in i have made many offers and the pre approval thing has come up every time and it always selects Paypal as the payment method via my card linked to that account.

So ,have you tried removing and then adding your card to your Paypal account.

From what i have read i'm not quite understanding how anyone can avoid the pre approval thing at all bearing in mind it is the seller that has that requirement added to their account under selling preferences (knowingly or not).

That's my 2 penneth anyway !.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

The system was devised to prevent people making offers which were accepted and then not paying. Seems perfectly reasonable - if you don't like this, don't make any offers, or contact the seller directly to see if he/she will relist the item as a BIN at the price you are willing to pay.

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

If "they" hack your account, then you're in trouble, as you would be in any similar scenario.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Yes but if there is payment card details retained by eBay then I am at more risk than if there wasn't.

Make buyers enter payment details on offers yes...but do it each time.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

Do you sell on ebay? If so you have to have a payment method registered to cover any refund or extra charges ebay may make as sales proceeds go into your bank account.

I do sell here, and yet I have been able to delete my payment method so good luck.

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Not really reasonable, as said elsewhere -

Once in its for 'ever' and a buyer cannot use click & collect, PayPal credit, change delivery address, combine P&P etc.

however, waiting for more info.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I think this is all another step for eBay to morph into ebamazon.

Seller not knowing that their items have had this automatically introduced by eBay, and buyers refusing to do it so offers will become a thing of the past on here. 
Lots more sellers complaining that they're not having offers made on their items.

More items will be listed with free  P&P  to remove the combined postage gripe of buyers with less auctions too

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Q?...what happens if you buy a big item?...a car for example...£10000...i don't have that money in my current account and would have to transfer it in...what would happen to my offer???

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

This happened to me.  Drove me nuts and weeks and weeks of trying to sort it out.  Its not possible to fix it.  you have to delete your seller account from the sellers hub.  That stopped them taking the money.   

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

@dannym668 wrote:

Q?...what happens if you buy a big item?...a car for example...£10000...i don't have that money in my current account and would have to transfer it in...what would happen to my offer???

You don't pay for cars through ebay, so there won't be an option for the seller to set up immediate payment required. 

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

I found easiest way to get around eBay having my correct details was to get the bank to issue a new card which invalidated the details of my card they held on their system.

I used to use eBay all the time. Now it's not worth the bother.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent
Got payments related questions? Start here: