Cannot verify bank account

Hi.  I have sold something and need to add my bank account.  I have tried to do this by typing in details manually which does not work.  I have also used the option to link via a third party to my Santander account which looked like it had worked but then I got another message from ebay saying cannot be verified.  I cannot withdraw the money owed to me.

Can anyone help?!

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Check that you have setup account correctly including UK Current Account Banking/Card details on file in order to send and receive payments .>

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/registering-seller?id=4792#section3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/help/selling/getting-paid/introducing-managed-payments-ebay?id=4795

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Hi - I have tried but I still keep getting a red message saying that the account cannot be verified.  I am stuck in a loop.  There does not seem to be a way to add account via micro deposits available to me.  Do you have any other ideas on this?  My account in a current account but in joint names.  My ebay account is in my name only.  There is never usually any issues with direct debits etc being set up as we are both authorised to act independently to manage direct debits.  Do you think this is the issue?  If so I do not know what to do as I only have one current account.  All my other accounts are saving accounts.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

The joint bank account then is the issue.

For Managed Payments,  your bank account must match exactly to the name on your eBay Account.

Having a joint account with two names this is why you are being blocked to proceed any further.

Both accountss have to have identical names.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

My bank account on eBay is a joint one and eBay accepted it.

But that was at the start of managed payments.

Whether it will cause a problem in future I guess I'll find out eventually.

I had to make sure my name on eBay matched the bank account which meant adding my full middle name to ebay instead of the initial letter it was.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Mmm,  guess it's one to bring up on the weekly chat ? @douglaspuglas  

Things change like the wind here,  and we're the last to know , so end up perhaps giving not so accurate answers,  frustrating.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Yes ask on Wednesdays chat.

I can understand it might be a requirement for business sellers but not private sellers.

If they don't like my bank account in future I'll just stop selling completely.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

I would ,  @douglaspuglas but I'm not around tomorrow,  getting ready to meet Mr Zimmer for a concert  at the O2!  

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Given that MP is more than just about getting paid but also about the stringent KYC requirements for anti money laundering, I strongly suspect that joint accounts would no longer be allowed.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Well I've read eBays information about verifying bank account information both on eBays UK and .com sites.

Neither state it can't be a joint bank account linked to a personal eBay account.

It only that the first and last names should be the same on both accounts.

I'll ask tomorrow if I remember.

But if I get a reply it will probably be a cut and paste one that doesn't answer the question.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Just to confirm to all that this must have been linked to it being a joint account.  I have had to open another current account in my name only to get this pay out from ebay.  Needless to say I will never be using ebay again.  What a complete and total nightmare!  Thank you to all for your help, much appreciated!

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

I've asked Anita on the community chat for clarification.

She said she asked the payments team and update via the chat thread.

So I'm not holding my breath for a definitive answer.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Ok I got a reply from Anita on the weekly chat on Wednesday 10/04/2024 it's post 48.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Chat-with-the-eBay-Community/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Tea... 

Joint bank accounts are ok for managed payments as long as you don't need the permission of the other user.

Screenshot_2024-04-11-11-08-03-412.jpeg

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent