scam purchases

Seller beware.

Just listed my car for sale and within 5 mins it sold on a buy it now. Had a message from the buyer about collecting but alarm bells started ringing when he sent unsolicited information about himself ie eBay profile, a phone number!!!! Then proceeded to advise me not to sell the car to anyone else that messages me. (First alarm) 

Said he would call within the hour to arrange collection and payment, 3 hrs later no call (second alarm)

Lo and behold 4 hrs after sale I get a message about the sale from another supposed user enquiring if the car sold and if not would I want to swap for a private number plate with a claim that they owned the plate and showed pictures of the alleged retention document and a screen shot from a website showing the plate value. The retention document was photographed on a particularly grotty carpet and the website shot was a poor quality screen shot of a bad website that anyone could have knocked up. (3rd alarm)

Already had a gut feeling it was going bad just happy I trusted my gut and cancelled the sale. Just a pity there's no easy way to report scam buyers like you can report scam sellers. Especially when I have the ebay email traffic from both users and the formats are so similar ie language and layout that it doesn't take a rocket scientist

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

scam purchases

Frustrating and annoying as it is to lose a sale,  you spotted a scam and cancelled the sale have you blocked them from returning?  If not do so here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

You will not see any action taken,  but eBay do read all messages going  trough their system and seeing anything untoward will place buying restrictions, or remove a member from their site.

@sekondchance 

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent