Within 30 Days - Laptop Broke and Seller Refusing Return When Ebay Has Accepted

Hiya. I bought a laptop a month ago but it broke a few weeks in of the 30 days, so it was still valid of the 30 Days Guarantee. I opened a case and Ebay confirmed this is valid. Seller is saying it's not valid, though. What's true? Thank you. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/11nme59/class_action_lawsuit_initiated_on_msi_hinge/?so...

IMG-20240420-WA0013.jpg

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/are-hinge-issues-still-a-thing.343279/page-4

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

A seller cannot refuse a case of item not as described,  if it is opened within 30 days of the item's last estimated date for delivery.

Be careful not to time yourself out here,  or the case will close.

The case gives the seller 3 days to accept and  refund you.  If they want their item back first,  they need to provide that fully tracked return label, then have 48 hours after recceipt,  to refund you..

If those timelines have passed,  just ignore the seller's pleas and excuses,  just escalate the case and eBay will step in and force the refund.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Dates are key here.

You say you bought it a month ago but it broke within the 30 days.  When it broke is not relevant.  It is all about when you started the return.

So, when did you receive the laptop?

When did you open the return case through Ebay?

Ebay will allow you to open a case after the 30 days.  However, if the seller refuses the return, you can't ask Ebay to step in and force a refund if you opened the case after the 30 days.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

What's true?

How can we tell, when all you tell us is that you bought it "a month ago"?

Your rights on eBay depend upon exact timescales - in this case, whether you opened a case within 30 days of delivery?

We don't even know how you paid. The short answer is that provided you paid by a qualifying method and opened the case within the 30 day time limit it will be valid. Ignore the seller's comments. If they don't accept the return and send you a prepaid return label just escalate the case for eBay to step in. You can do this if no satisfactory response from the seller for more than three working days after opening the case.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Hiya. So sorry, it didn't notify me on the app or my email anybody replied -- and it didn't tell me to list such things/was unsure what to list. I stated in the original question that it was within the 30 days, which was Day 26 I opened a return. I paid via my debit card. Seller refused and it was made a Case a few days later. The parcel returned to the seller today but seller rejected it by ticking 'No longer lives at this address' option on the return. Ebay have already stepped in but I don't see an escalate case option. Do you mean just contact Ebay again? If so, yes, I have and am awaiting response. 

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Hiya. So sorry, it didn't notify me on the app or my email anybody replied -- and it didn't tell me to list such things/was unsure what to list. I stated in the original question that it was within the 30 days, so valid, which was Day 26 I opened a return. I paid via my debit card on 25th March 2024. The item arrived on 28th March 2024 and opened the return on the 20th April and the Case was opened 26th April. Does this help? As you see, it was all within the 30 days. 

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Hiya. So sorry, it didn't notify me on the app or my email anybody replied -- and it didn't tell me to list such things/was unsure what to list. I stated in the original question that it was within the 30 days, so valid, which was Day 26 I opened a return. I paid via my debit card on 25th March 2024. The item arrived on 28th March 2024 and opened the return on the 20th April and the Case was opened 26th April. Does this help? As you see, it was all within the 30 days. 

With all due respect, it was unclear what information was required. What do I do since they rejected the return? 

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

So, you opened the case, got a label, I assume via the case? and sent the laptop back.

The screenshot shows attempted delivery on 4th May - what does the tracking show now?  Is the laptop on its way back to you?

As long as you posted it within the time allowed by the case and used the tracked label provided through the case, Ebay will be able to see that you returned the laptop. Even though it was not delivered.

Normally, after the seller has the item back, they have 48 hours to refund you.

So, 48 hours after the attempted delivery, you should be able to ask Ebay to step in.

Go back to the open case tomorrow and see if the option to ask Ebay to step in has appeared.

If not, contact Ebay, use the link below, ask them to look at the tracking showing you sent the item and delivery was attempted on May 4th and ask them for a refund.  As Monday is a Bank Holiday rather than a working day, i would wait until Tuesday.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

you have posted two off eBay links - if you attempt to get a refund by other means while the eBay case is open, eBay will close their case.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent