Suspicious offer

So I listed an item this morning and the. Received an offer for more than the min bid. The buyer's user name and profile then asks for more pictures so they can see the item is real (it would be sent for authentication anyway). 
What is the scam here? 

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Suspicious offer

They've given you their email address with the hope that you'll email them direct, so you're taken outside of eBay.

They then have your email address, and that's where the fake (but very genuine looking) payment notification will be sent, along with instructions to send the item to the buyers home address.

Obviously there is no payment, but you'd be surprised how many sellers fall for this one.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Suspicious offer

There is no scam.

Many sellers list items for auction with the minimum bid they will accept.  The 'make an offer' feature allows interested bidders to offer more than the starting price to secure the item.

You have not had any bids so you could easily add a few more pictures to your listing.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Suspicious offer

Thanks but I've literally just uploaded it - like in the last 30 mins. There are pictures of every angle. The starting bid was £550, the offer was for £900 and there are similar items which are buy it now for near to my starting bid or a bit lower, and as I say it will go for authentication.  This was their profile 

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Suspicious offer

More information is always useful.

Did that message come to your Ebay mailbox?  It does look dodgy!

Only respond to potential buyers through Ebay messages and never give out your phone/WhatsApp/personal email.

Looks as if you are being set up for a scam which goes like this:

Buyer makes a high offer

Gets your phone/WhatsApp/email/Paypal

You get a message via WhatsApp saying the buyer has paid and urging you to send the item as soon as possible.

You don't actually get paid and the 'buyer' gets a free item.

I would ignore this person and block them.

Block bidders or buyers from your listings - opens in new window or tab

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Suspicious offer

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Yep, this is the old 'fake payment notification email' scam. I guess that buyer would also ask you to post direct to their home address and bypass the authenticator.

As advised, block them from bidding. 

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Suspicious offer

Thanks all. It did come via EBay but obviously then wants me to email them via personal address. I'd already declined the offer as seemed too good to be true but just couldn't work out the scam 👍🏻

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Suspicious offer

They've given you their email address with the hope that you'll email them direct, so you're taken outside of eBay.

They then have your email address, and that's where the fake (but very genuine looking) payment notification will be sent, along with instructions to send the item to the buyers home address.

Obviously there is no payment, but you'd be surprised how many sellers fall for this one.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent