Seller not paying for the parts/fees to repair item

Hi all

So I brought my son a used bike in January for his birthday in February, when I put it together and tested it the gears were a bit out and I asked the seller if they were like that for him, he said he son said no. I called out a bike mechanic and he noticed straight away that the gears were not compatible with each other, so I told the seller, he first said he might he the correct parts and would send them, he didn't so told me to buy the parts and he'd refund me, I ask about the mechanics fees and he said tell me the total and I refund it. So it ended up being just over £78, I told him and sent proof of payment and invoices but he said thats too much and was only willing to give me £50 as a good will gesture! I tried to get ebay involved but 30 days had passed and they said they couldn't help, so I asked PayPal, they said I get the £78 if I return the bike!! What can I do?

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

tobiasd4
Experienced Mentor

You are too late for ebay, as said you are past the 30 day limit.

PayPal will get you a full refund of original price and any postage, but you will have to pay to return bike.

May be better to accept the extra costs, at least bike is now usable. 

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

That's pretty rubbish, I did nothing wrong but now £80 out if pocket 😞

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

As you've discovered, there's nothing you can do here via eBay or PayPal. I would never buy parts or pay for a mechanic just because a seller said that they'd pay, the money would only be good if paid up front. 

The only option that I can see that you may have is to return the bike via a PayPal item not as described claim and get the cost of the bike back, they won't get involved with the extra you've paid out though. 

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent