Partial refund issue - I'm a seller

I sold a set of items and one was supposedly damaged on arrival. I offered a partial refund which was rejected, but the buyer suggested a higher partial refund that I've agreed. However I can't see how to do that through eBay as it's no longer giving me the option of a partial refund.

I'm new to eBay, can anyone advise please. 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Has the buyer opened a case, this can  only provide a full refund.    The buyer will have to close it first,  and then you can offer them a partial refund.

Be awarem the buyer may not be happy to close the case,  because once closed another cannot be opened for that item with eBay, and partial refunds can be promised,  but not enforced.

Once case is closed proceed this way:

If you are on My eBay Selling,  go right of the item sold and from More Actions select Refund this item.  Be careful to then add the correct amount of refund you wish to make,  or you will refund the whole amount.

If you are on the Seller Hub, find the item in Orders >>  Posted and Awaiting your Feedback.  Tick on the little arrow left of the item from the drop down menu which appears scroll down a little,  you will see Refund this item. 

One tip,  before you send the partial refund,  mark the item as dispatched,  there is a quirk in eBay's programming if you send a partial refund first,  you then cannot mark as dispatched.

You will probably need a PC / laptop and not the app or mobile browser to do this.  Chrome and Firefox work best with eBay.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

You only get one chance to offer a partial refund.

As advised, you can still give the buyer a refund you are both happy with but there needs to be an element of trust as the buyer will need to close the return case, either before or after you refund them the agreed amount.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent