(New Seller). Buyer offered a price '+ postage' but I only got the price offered, not postage

I'm new to selling on eBay, just the odd private sale.

This is two points in one really.

I had a heavy item (25 kg or so) for sale for £85 with free postage.  A buyer offered £65 and in the ebay dashboard it said the offer was:  '£65 + postage'.  eBay had earlier said the cost of the postage option I chose would be £8, so making the offer £73 - I accepted.

But eBay only paid me the £65 and the postage turned out to be £14 which I had to pay.  That's a lot of difference.  For an item I listed at £85, I would have got £73 but actually only got £51 (all before eBay take their cut).

So my first question is;   is this normal?  When a buyer makes an offer does it always say '+ postage'?   To me an offer of:  '£65 + postage'  means the buyer will be charged the postage.  But they weren't, I had to pay it.

Second question is; when the automatic postage selection page shows an option costs, say, £8, but the next day it charges £14 for the same postage option, is that normal, too?  If so why do they bother telling you the cost of an option if it's just not true?

Am I missing something because I'm just new to selling?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

(New Seller). Buyer offered a price '+ postage' but I only got the price offered, not postage

plum993
Experienced Mentor

You offered free postage with best offer,so the buyer would only pay the best offer price accepted on the sold listing

Usually items come with postage,so if a buyer buys with best offer they have to add on the postge cost to the best offer price.

Ebay postage is not 100% and can differ in price,and your under no obligation to use it,so can use any postal method you want,either buying direct online,or at your local post office.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

plum993
Experienced Mentor

You offered free postage with best offer,so the buyer would only pay the best offer price accepted on the sold listing

Usually items come with postage,so if a buyer buys with best offer they have to add on the postge cost to the best offer price.

Ebay postage is not 100% and can differ in price,and your under no obligation to use it,so can use any postal method you want,either buying direct online,or at your local post office.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Thanks.

So usually the 'offer + postage' would be the case but because I was offering free postage I still had to pay it.  That's fine but it seems misleading when eBay sent me a message saying I'd been offered 'offer + postage'.  Well, I've learned for  nextime.

And it looks like we'd be better off not buying postage through eBay, just going direct to the courier.

Thanks again for your answers.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent