Neutral feedback left by a buyer who asked to cancel an order

A buyer asked to cancel an order virtually straight after buying prior to any payment being made. I immediately agreed to the cancellation and over six weeks later they left a neutral feedback with the comment 'cancel'.

I contacted eBay and the customer representative told me that the feedback would be removed. A few hours later, I received a message stating that it could not be removed as it did not violate eBay policies. 

I have done absolutely wrong and now face the very possibility of losing sales because of this. 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

I believe the buyer here does not understand the leaving of feedback , and left that remark in all innocence.

They probably received a generic bot message everyone receives to ' Leave Feedback' and thought they had to,  so just wrote what happened.... Cancel.

I would send the buyer a polite message explaining this does not explain the situation for others when reading it,  and could affect a future buyer from buying from you.

Once understood,  ask them to complete a feedback revision you can send to them.

If the above fails and the buyer does not wish to do this,  just leave a polite follow up to explain the Cancellation was done promptly at the buyer's request.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

I don't think you will lose any sales.  The neutral does not affect your feedback rating and you can add a short, polite comment making it clear that the buyer asked to cancel and you helpfully agreed.

I would write, 'I complied with the buyer's request to cancel their purchase and don't really understand why they felt they had to leave feedback for a transaction which never happened.'

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent