Just received an empty package

I bought some antique coins from a dealer and he sent it to me second class 'signed for'. Today I received the package, but the postman didn't ring the doorbell for me to sign it and just put it through the letterbox. I was in at the time and didn't hear anything apart from the letter dropping on the floor. I reported what happened to Royal Mail and they registered the complaint. I reported it to the ebay dealer too and he seems to think it is up to ebay to compensate me rather than him. Not sure what to do next as it seems impossible to talk to an actual human being at ebay. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

The seller is fobbing you off, don't listen to any more of his excuses, but open a case for item not as described for a full refund.  

Be careful to open the correct case,  you have received an item not as described,  do not open one for item not received,  albeit an empty envelope you did receive ' something'.    You are guaranteed a full refund under eBay's 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee policy,  if you claim within 30 days of the item's last estimated date for delivery.

You then go right of the item in your Purchase History,  and from More Actions select Return this item,  selecting the reason...  Item Not as Described.

The seller has 3 days to accept the case,  if they don't ,  you need to  escalate on day 4,  or within 30 days,  and eBay will step in and force the refund.

If the seller wants the item back first,  they need to pay for a fully tracked return postage.  On receipt of their item they have 48 hours to refund you.  Again,  if they don't,  you escalate the case.

Do not close the case early for any excuse or promise the seller may give,  and do not forget to escalate.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

plum993
Experienced Mentor

To add to the advice,it is the seller who needs to claim from Royal Mail as they paid for there service.

Do as said an open a return case giving the reason as  "not as described" as the package was empty,and if the seller wants the items returned then send back the empty envelope.Use the link below to start a return.https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks. I'll choose 'Doesn't match description or photos'.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Just to stress what tressygirl has said: you MUST select the reason as "Item Not as Described".

Buyers often mistakenly open "Item not received" cases for empty envelopes etc. However, as he postal tracking will show that it was delivered (even if empty) eBay will automatically close the case with no refund.

Keep the empty envelope as the seller is entitled to ask for it to be returned, or Royal Mail may wish to inspect it.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks for the reply. The wording is slightly different to 'item not as described', it only has 'Doesn't match description or photos'. I'm assuming that is the same thing (but I'm a bit paranoid with ebay wording!).

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Yes,use the item doesn't match the listing description or photo's. 😉

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Hi tressygirl

Thanks again for your advice. I opened a return request case and he challenged it by accusing me of scamming him! I find this incredibly insulting and it's really put me off buying on ebay. I've never scammed anyone out of anything in my 65 years on this planet.

Here's what he said to ebay:

"I believe this is a scam and that the package was sealed when he received it. He is saying that he never signed for the item and it was open upon receipt. However, Royal Mail do not require a signature now for ‘signed for’ packages, so it is rather convenient that the package was open upon receipt . This is one of eBay’s most common scams and I do not feel that I should be financially penalised."

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Usually, if a package opens during transit, Royal Mail put the package inside a plastic envelope and make it very clear that the package is open or damaged.

I assume this is not the case here?

You don't need to respond to the seller.

Ebay wont see the parcel and will almost certainly accept your word that the package was empty.  Don't take the seller's comments personally - difficult I know - but the seller knows they sent the coins, just as you know you didn't receive them.

As advised, the seller has 3 days to accept the case.  If you have not heard from the seller through the case, then you should ask Ebay to step in on day 4.

Hang on to whatever you did receive in case the seller wants it back.

Out of interest, if you look at the label on the package, it will have been weighed at the Post Office.  What does the weight say?  That may help you to see if the coins were ever in the package.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks for the reply, yeah, the package was not in a plastic bag, the parcel just says 2nd class £3.80.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

That means the weight when sent was over 100g but under 250g

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks, the coins were 221 grams so at least I know he sent them.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent