Ebay stole my money.

Ordered on 04 Mar, 2024, the item was left by Royal Mail in the communal area of my building and went missing. Royal Mail took a photo of halfway open door to the block of 20 flats as a proof of delivery. I asked the seller to step in and contact Royal Mail and they point blank refused saying it's been delivered and that's my problem.

I opened the "item not recieved" case which was promptly closed on sellers request who used the same logic as before, item delivered therefore not a problem. I appealed that decision stating, as above that the item was left in unsecured location by Royal Mail. 

I was told by Ebay to contact Royal Mail and send "Denial of Receipt" via email. Done that and received a reply confirming that the item was lost and seller should contact Royal Mail for a refund.  Uploaded a screenshot of that email to the link provided by Ebay and all they said was thank you for providing the information requested. Nothing about a refund, the case is closed and I can't even open a chat with them as it says the decision is final. 

So basically Ebay stole my money, and I have not received the item or refund. I paid with my credit card but can't use their protection as the amount is below £75. 

Is there anything else I can do?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ebay stole my money.

Chargeback is for (most) debit and credit cards and can be used on any amount – Section 75 only applies to credit cards for items costing above £100.

Chargeback is particularly useful where the cost of the goods or services is £100 or under as Section 75 doesn't apply. So if you've paid for something on your debit card or for something on your credit card that's £100 or under, I'd seek a refund via chargeback.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay stole my money.

Ebay has not stolen your money. Seller posted to your address, Royal Mail delivered, and as far as Ebay, seller or Royal Mail are concerned they have all done what they should do. 

Once delivered it has presumably been stolen, which you could report to the Police but it will not get your money back.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Ebay stole my money.

Write to Royal Mail Customer Service FREEPOST Plymouth and make one almighty fuss!

They tend initially to answer a question that perhaps they wish you had asked and you may have to follow up.   @chapelu 

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Ebay stole my money.

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@chapelu wrote:

I paid with my credit card but can't use their protection as the amount is below £75. 

Is there anything else I can do?

You can't issue a Section 75 via your credit card company, but you should be able to issue just a chargeback. What went wrong there? Did you try to complete a Section 75 claim form?

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Ebay stole my money.

Hi, thank you for taking your time. I wasn't aware of chargeback, only knew about section 75 and this can't be done if the purchase is under £75 as far as I know. Not very familiar with all of this as this is the first time I have had such problems. Will read on on chargeback, thank you 🙂

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Ebay stole my money.

Chargeback is for (most) debit and credit cards and can be used on any amount – Section 75 only applies to credit cards for items costing above £100.

Chargeback is particularly useful where the cost of the goods or services is £100 or under as Section 75 doesn't apply. So if you've paid for something on your debit card or for something on your credit card that's £100 or under, I'd seek a refund via chargeback.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent