Customs and restricted items?

So I haven't really bought from outside the UK before, however there was a 14" collectors doll which I was eager to own from the US. I accepted their offer and then found that I couldn't actually pay for it as it had said the seller didn't ship to the UK. I contacted the seller and they said they most certainly do, and they contacted eBay to see what the issue was.

Apparently eBay has put restrictions on certain categories but obviously dolls aren't on the restricted items list for customs in the UK. The seller relisted the item as a different category so I could buy it, and I was able to. However now, I'm just concerned as to whether customs will have a problem with the doll and I obviously don't want to get fined, especially as I am a student!

So I wanted to ask as to whether the doll will be fine going through customs and I'm just being overanxious, or whether I should consider cancelling the order in order to avoid a penalty...

Thanks a bunch!

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

papso22
Experienced Mentor

If there is a problem with the doll, which I doubt, you won't be fined, but it might be destroyed or returned to the sender.

I think it will all be OK.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

papso22
Experienced Mentor

If there is a problem with the doll, which I doubt, you won't be fined, but it might be destroyed or returned to the sender.

I think it will all be OK.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Okay thank you!! I think it's just me being anxious again...

I appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

What's the listing number?

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

It was 335330021166

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

There will be no import restrictions on a collectable doll.

No import duty will be payable (if it isn't more than £135 including postage) but 20% VAT will be charged on delivery, plus probably a handling charge.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

That's great, thanks.

I can't see an issue there except that it was listed in the Fashion category as a girls dress, hopefully the GSP will still accept it when it arrives at their US hub.

You've paid import fees up front at eBay checkout so nothing further to pay this end. 

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

I assume if GSP had an issue with it they'd just return to seller?

Thank you!!

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Lovely, thank you for your help!

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

@faeriefield wrote:

I assume if GSP had an issue with it they'd just return to seller?

Thank you!!

Yes.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Okay brilliant, thank you so much, I appreciate the help!

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Destinations to which seller ships, which includes United Kingdom, so do not understand why anything should stop you paying.

Posts to: 
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan Republic, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde Islands, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon Republic, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Croatia, Republic of the Congo, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vatican City State, Vietnam, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent