Cannot receive txt message to verify my details

As per the title:

In order to place some listings, eBay first requires me to verify some personal details.

I should then receive a code by text message which I can use to prove I am the owner of the number.

Every time I hit the button to send me a text, I get a red bar and the message

"Something went wrong. Verify everything below is correct"

I'm completely stuck after 3 hours of this.

Desktop machine (I don't use "apps")

All ideas very welcome.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Solved:

eBay made some major changes ~2021 to the way new sellers are 'onboarded'

The system was unfortunately trying to 'onboard' me the same way, into a new seller account, when I began adding new listings. The 'onboarding' process, which integrates verification, was clashing in some way with my existing older seller account. The system may have thought me a first-time seller because I had not sold anything for several years.

Special thanks to the phone support desk within the same time zone who went to a lot of effort to understand and try fixing the problem, and eventually raised a technical support ticket for me. It was fixed within hours.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Best you contact ebay here as they can view your account and hopefully address the issue for you,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

Weekdays: 8 am-10pm
Weekends: 9 am-6pm.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Many thanks for this.

I'm now on my 4th soon to be 5th chat assistant....

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

After being passed around various chat assistants, having to re-explain the issue each time, the problem remains unresolved.

I have been serially unable to verify myself.

I have been told to "wait 24 hours".

In consequence I have missed the window on timing for the listings I wished to place. 

There is something wrong with the Verify your account details page / pop-up. because my account has 2-step verification enabled and the SMS codes have arrived extremely promptly on signing in. A browser problem? Who knows, I tried 3 different ones.

That's enough for one evening. Thanks to those who helped.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Solved:

eBay made some major changes ~2021 to the way new sellers are 'onboarded'

The system was unfortunately trying to 'onboard' me the same way, into a new seller account, when I began adding new listings. The 'onboarding' process, which integrates verification, was clashing in some way with my existing older seller account. The system may have thought me a first-time seller because I had not sold anything for several years.

Special thanks to the phone support desk within the same time zone who went to a lot of effort to understand and try fixing the problem, and eventually raised a technical support ticket for me. It was fixed within hours.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent