Buyer says item hasn’t arrived but they gave wrong postcode?

Buyer says item hasn't arrived - which is a pain, but not really too much of an issue as I would normally just refund and claim back from Royal Mail - But, the buyer's postcode on the order is incorrect by the last digit. They only told me this when I asked them to clarify their address, they are making out like it's not an issue as it's only one postcode digit away. 🙄

I hand write my parcels and it was sent as a small parcel 2nd class at the post office, so not tracked. The buyer is still expecting a refund, but who's fault is this and will eBay step in and refund them or not? Any ideas on this one guys?  🤷‍♀️ 

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

plum993
Experienced Mentor

So does the buyers address show the error on the ebay order details?

If the buyer opens a not received case then you will have to refund in full I'm afraid.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

As Plum says you will have to refund as tracking is showing as not received if the buyer opens a claim as all bot driven however,  call Ebay and  explain the issue as your communications will be through message for a human to read.   The buyer actually doesnt have moneyback guarantee if they gave the wrong address but you will have to speak to Ebay to relay that

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee?id=4...

scroll down to 

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

What i would do though is ask buyer to wait a little longer as the digit wrong will mean their parcel will have to be rerouted as its all automated and sorted by postcode in the sorting office and it will delay as someone will have to intervene to redirect it.

If the 1 digit is in the beginning of the postcode thats a whole different area and different sorting office, if in the last few then its streets away

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

The address on the order is incorrect. By the last digit of the postcode. I looked up the address after the buyer messaged me to say it hadn't arrived yet. So I then screen shot the order and sent it to buyer to say that the postcode they have given didn't exist for that area/street. Buyer then told me their correct postcode and said it wouldn't make a difference as the  incorrect postcode was for the house downstairs.. which as we all know, is a lie.. So 🤷‍♀️

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

@pinkbedivere wrote:

The address on the order is incorrect. By the last digit of the postcode. I looked up the address after the buyer messaged me to say it hadn't arrived yet. So I then screen shot the order and sent it to buyer to say that the postcode they have given didn't exist for that area/street. Buyer then told me their correct postcode and said it wouldn't make a difference as the  incorrect postcode was for the house downstairs.. which as we all know, is a lie.. So 🤷‍♀️

Best contact ebay here,in the morning where you will get Dublin,and explain the postcode error and see if there is anything they can do for you.I expect you will have to refund though,as you don't want the buyer to escalate an ebay case if you don't refund, as that would mean ebay would refund courtesy of your account and will place a defect on your account to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

Weekdays: 8 am-10pm
Weekends: 9 am-6pm.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent