Advert scam

Does anyone else notice that nothing sells until you choose promotion? I have tried 10 items over 2 months, and today's sale confirmed that. Sold bag worth 260£ in shops for 160£ and at the end 119.22 lands in my account:)  What the hell!!! with promotion and ebay seller fees, I have been charged  46.18£ just for selling one f...ng bag. Where is the normality here, all my items are on standby for months without promotion as soon you choose to promote items will sell within days, Don't u think this is a scam?

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Advert scam

papso22
Experienced Mentor

No I don't think it's a scam.

A bigger scam is a business trading on a private account and denying buyers their consumer rights and ebay their proper fees.

You need to upgrade to a business account and trade legally. 

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Advert scam

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

A private seller is one who is just selling off their own personal items such as clothes from their wardrobe, bits from their loft/garage etc. They wouldn't have multiples of brand new items to list (such as your vegetable chopper).

A Business seller is someone who buys or makes items to sell on.  They need to be registered as a business to meet the requirements of UK law. They need to declare income to HMRC once they reach £1,000 worth of sales (eBay will be providing HMRC with your details anyway so it's vital to keep correct accounts for your tax return). You can obviously offset more expenses as a business seller, but can't offset any at all as a private one.  

To correctly register as a business seller simply go to your Personal Information in your account and to the right of Account Type, which will be showing as 'Individual'  you'll see an Edit option.

https://accountsettings.ebay.co.uk/profile

This doesn't affect your feedback profile or any current listings, it merely upgrades your account so that you're legally compliant. 

If you're also selling your own items, just open another eBay account (you can have more than one).

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Advert scam

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

Don't u think this is a scam?

No, it just proves that promoton works. It's all about visibility.

As a new and low volume seller your listings will normally be way down below larger, established business sellers. Promotion reverses this - but at a price!

Even if they find your lisitngs, buyers will soon realise that you're still presenting yourself as a private seller, denying them the legal right to returns which would be included in your listings if you were correctly registered as a business seller.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent