Cancelling a purchase

I was the highest bidder for a lawnmower. The seller wanted cash on collection as he 'wanted to avoid eBay and PayPal fees'. Before the auction closed I asked him whether I would be able, if I won, to pick it up on a certain day when I would be passing through his area (it is about 35 miles away). He agreed. I won and immediately messaged him through eBay to arrange collection. I received no reply. Over the next week I sent several more messages through eBay about arranging collection and received no reply. Eventually, I sent him a message indicating my frustration that he wasn't replying, when I received a very short message telling me I could pay a deposit through PayPal. I responded immediately asking for details of how I could do that (i.e. his PayPal details). I received no reply. A week later I wrote to him again asking him to confirm that I could pick it up on the agreed day and would anybody be there and where is 'there' (I only knew the town, not any address). I received no reply. The day came and went, and I was forced to give up on the lawnmower. For whatever reason he was not being helpful and handling the transaction in an appropriate way. I have now bought a lawnmower elsewhere.

So, suddenly I get a message from him at this morning saying 'I thought you were going to pick it up on the 18th'. I have responded saying that in the absence of any communication from him (as outlined above) I had given up on the transaction. So, my question is, how can I cancel this transaction and move on? I certainly don't want him leaving me negative feedback (I have 100% feedback on over 400 transactions).

View Entire Topic
redwick1
Experienced Mentor

Collection items should always be cash on collection as there is little or nomoney back guaranatee on ebay or paypal.

They dont pay fees on paypal if it is paid in cash

It is not safe for buyers or sellers to use paypal for collection items

If you bought the item on ebay then they are not avoiding ebay fees

You can not cancel the purchase but ask the seller if they will

They dont have to cancel and if they dont then they can open a non payment dispute

Not fair but the seller may do that to get their final value fees back.

Sellers can not leave negative feedback for a buyer and if they do then you can ask for it too be removed

If they do open a non payment dispute then deal with that problem the

Ask a question