Sad week....got to have the dog put to sleep

My best friend (and ex partner) asked me yesterday to make an appointment at the vet's in order to have his dog (who I love like my own) put to sleep.

Molly who is a black lab would be 14 in August so she has had a really good life....worked hard as she loved to chase the ball and retrieve it and still looks in great shape as she has never been allowed to overeat and put on weight like some labs I see about.

However over the course of the last couple of weeks it has become apparent that she is struggling with her back legs to lie down and get up from her bed, so, even though she is not a dog to complain, it is apparent that she is in pain.

I had an awful sleepless night's sleep...however somewhere at the back of my mind I know it is for the best for her.....but it is still hard to think that it is me having to make that final appointment. In fact, there are tears welling up as I write this.

Not sure whether I should go to the appointment as well with him or whether to leave him. He has had Molly since she was 8 weeks old, and I have known Molly since she was 8 years old and walk her every day when the ex is out at work and have her (and his other dog the chocolate lab called Poppy) when he goes on holiday or goes away for the weekend. It is going to be really hard this lunchtime on our walk, as it could in theory be our last.

Thanks for reading this....off to the vets now to make the appointment.

I remember when I lost my own dog some years ago the Dogs Trust (where I adopted him from) sent me the poem RAINBOW BRIDGE - OMG that really got the tears going....it can still make me cry now when I read it.

Jane 🙂

Remember - it takes 17 muscles to smile and 44 muscles to frown - SO KEEP SMILING 🙂
Message 1 of 29
See Most Recent
28 REPLIES 28

😞 Aww tintin I'm so sorry.

Only you can decide wether you should attend the appointment with your ex but as it sounds as if you are both still on good terms with each other he might like you there as its not something I'd like to do on my own.

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 2 of 29
See Most Recent

Sad times but you know you are being kind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 29
See Most Recent

Just back from the vets....looks like the appointment will be Wednesday evening. Will walk them today, tomorrow and Wednesday - and I think that on Tuesday I am going to buy a whole chicken and give the whole lot to her for her evening meal....Poppy the choccy lab may just get a sniff of it as well. He got Poppy three years ago so that when Molly went, there was still a dog there to walk and fuss. No doubt he will get another by the end of the year (always a rescue dog).  If anybody out there knows of a Labrador that needs a loving home please let me know. Thanks for your messages - that's why I use these boards as I know that people here are really lovely and friendly. x

Remember - it takes 17 muscles to smile and 44 muscles to frown - SO KEEP SMILING 🙂
Message 4 of 29
See Most Recent

:-(:-x

?I guess I should warn you. If you know what I said, you've probably misunderstood.?
Message 5 of 29
See Most Recent

Aww tintin...it's the hardest thing to do, but the right thing.

Maybe ex could do with your support, especially as you have both shared in Molly's life.

My heart goes out to you all.

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 6 of 29
See Most Recent

There are so many lovely dogs needing loving homes I am glad he is thinking of getting another faithful friend.:-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 29
See Most Recent

Just changed my profile picture....Molly is the dog with her head resting on Poppy...this was taken about one year ago.

Anyone know how I can add a photo within the body of my messages?

Message 8 of 29
See Most Recent

In the reply box at the top is a landscape pic. Click on that to add a picture.:-)

Message 9 of 29
See Most Recent

oh jane........... such a hard decision to make....

i got our wee rescue dog.......before he was to be put down.... 

we saved him........and is so a part of our lives...... i would be devastated if we lost him.

sending you hugs and strength:-x

Message 10 of 29
See Most Recent

Sorry to hear this tintin.  You don't mention whether the vet has said he needs to go, isn't it just arthritis in his hips?  My old black lab had bad hips and was on Metacam for a good few years and was fine.  Sorry if this post seems insensitive, I just know how good the metacam is, but perhaps he's gone beyond that.:-(

Message 11 of 29
See Most Recent

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Message 12 of 29
See Most Recent

:-(:-x

you are doing the kindest thing

when my old girl can no longer cope will face this sad decision soon 😞

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Message 13 of 29
See Most Recent

So sorry to hear your sad news Jane. I love my dogs to bits & dread the time when it comes to have to part with them.:|  Mum was a stray, we took her in & she is lovely, sweet girl. Our lovely, sweet Rottweiler thought so too & consequently.. We have 7 little darlings! Just 12 days old. My thoughts are with you at this very sad time. xx

Message 14 of 29
See Most Recent

wilsonhepple i just enlarged your post........... :-x

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone
here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so
they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water
and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health
and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and
strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days
and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing;
they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left
behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one
suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he
begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his
legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend
finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be
parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands
again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the
trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but
never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

:-x

Message 15 of 29
See Most Recent

Mum is black Lab... Such a greedy PIG! Lol! Why are these dogs so food orientated? Makes them easy to train though. Never had one before our Jessie, Beautiful, intelligent dogs.

Message 16 of 29
See Most Recent

Sadness 😞  Difficult decisions always at the ends of lives 😞  Thinking of you Tintin xx

Our dog is 16, & losing his marbles, at times utterly befuddled & seeing things.  He too has the occasional palaver getting to his feet, but once up he is ok 

Ok enough to continue to  bound along harassing rowers on the river :_|:^O  

Message 17 of 29
See Most Recent

Gosh.....so many lovely people.

Unfortunately although Molly has not "lost her marbles" she is losing her sight as well and really struggles to get up and down....she is also unable to hold on all day (which is why I have to walk them in the day for a rest break).  Her "dad" can tell she is in pain wth her hips and would much rather she goes with dignity....if she has messed in the house before she gets upset about it so much.

I have been walking them today and came across another couple of labs - fat beyond belief - and they were only about three years old

Even the vet last year said what remarkable shape she was in for a 13 year old.

I have left all the details down at his house and expect to receive a text to say it will be Wednesday.

Message 18 of 29
See Most Recent

Hightara,

Thanks, I just now noticed that my post came out in very small lettering.

By the way, how did you enlarge the print..?

Message 19 of 29
See Most Recent

tintin, my heart goes out to you.  I know when we had to have our dog put to sleep several years ago, it was a very sad time.  We were devastated so I know what you are going through.  My thoughts are with you.

:_|

Message 20 of 29
See Most Recent