Recipe needed! Cream of celery soup

mouse4702
Conversationalist

If you wouldn't mind sharing?  Needs to be made without the benefit of a blender though - unless you can do it with a hand blender.  I appear to have a surfeit of celery and it's starting to wilt (oo-er!!)

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Cream of celery soup

1 large celery
1 medium onion
1large potato
1 pint veg or chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
Bring to the boil then simmer till all tender ,blitz with hand blender and add cream to thicken while re-simmering

I add a wedge of stilton to mine .........yummmmmm

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

This easy celery soup recipe is surprisingly elegant and won't break the bank. A little cream wouldn't go amiss either.

Ingredients
Preparation method
  1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the garlic, onion and celery over a low heat for five minutes, until softened.

2. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 10-12 minutes.

3. Transfer the soup to a blender and liquidise.

4. To serve, place the soup into a bowl with the toasted ciabatta alongside.

You can use a stick blender to liquidise, just let it cool a bit before blending.

this recipe is for a gratin of celery

• 2 celery heads, trimmed
    • 50g butter
    • 1 onion, thinly sliced
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 100g breadcrumbs
    • 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
    • 75ml white wine
    • 250ml vegetable or chicken stock
    • 100ml double cream
    • 25g grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)

1. Cut any thick celery stalks in half, trim all of it into thumb-size lengths, then wash and leave wet. Melt half the butter in a large frying pan, then add the celery, onion and bay leaves. Season, cover, then cook over a medium heat for about 30 mins, stirring occasionally to stop the onions catching.
    2. Meanwhile, prepare the breadcrumbs. Melt the remaining butter in a separate pan, then toss in the crumbs and walnuts, stirring often until lightly golden and toasted. Set aside
    3. Heat grill to medium. When the celery is tender, turn the heat right up, pour in the wine and stock, then reduce by two-thirds. Pour in the cream, then reduce for a final few mins until you have a syrupy sauce. Check seasoning, tip into an ovenproof dish, then scatter with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Grill for 2-3 mins, until the sauce bubbles. Let it sit for 5 mins before serving.

or you could do braised celery

1 head celery, trimmed, de-stringed and cut into 3 inch (7.5 cm) pieces
     1 oz (25 g) butter
     1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
     3 oz (75 g) carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
     8 fl oz (225 ml) stock made with Marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon powder
     1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

salt and freshly milled black pepper

First of all melt the butter in the frying pan and begin to cook the onions for 3-4 minutes over a medium to high heat, until lightly golden, then add the carrots and cook for a further 2 minutes. Now add the celery and continue to fry for 5 minutes more, or until everything is slightly browned at the edges. Season with salt and black pepper, then pour in the hot stock and place a lid on the pan. Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are almost tender, then take the lid off and increase the heat to medium and continue to simmer till the liquid has reduced and become slightly syrupy – about 5 minutes. Serve the celery with the juices poured over and sprinkled with the parsley.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Can I bring me bowl and spoon round with some crust bread please?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Oh you little darlings, thank you!  I meant to add, I could Google but my pooter is desperately slow and it takes 30 minutes to change pages on a large website (like BBC Food)

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

I hate celery.

but I like cake

Photobucket

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Mouse, don`t you have broadband ? If you do it sounds as if your computer needs a good sort out .It can be done remotely .
Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

I will stand in line with me French Bread stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have cut it ready so anyone else can have a bit to dip in ha ha ha .Woman LOL

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

Ive got some crusty crutons well stale bread actually but who cares I can toast it 😉 on this miserable day.....

Hope you enjoy the soup Mrs Campbell Robot LOL

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Yuk, yuk, yuk can't stand celery, food of the devil.

Hope you enjoy it though mouse

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Do all these recipes freeze ? Cos I think they would be a lovely winter soup as well as for this time of year, bring on the Devil ed lol. I like celery & especially in stews , yummy!.

**********Sam**********
Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

I don't know about celery but I've made a batch of mushroom soup for the first time. Don't know what it tastes like but it smells lovely.
Photobucket
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Give over! lol . Your making me salivate I love soups.

**********Sam**********
Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

I like chunky soups, trouble is, I love bread with them too!!!

Photobucket

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Yes so do I ! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

I dont like Celery a lot but soup sounds nice?, dont think i have ever had Celery Soup!!.Woman Happy

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent