Old Sayings or Jokey Phrases?.

I suddenly catch myself recently using old sayings that my father used to use rather than my mother!!.

My dad used to say,,,,,,,,,"Steady On Barker!!!!!!!,,,,.

"Coooooor Lummy!!! was another although i think it was a rephrase on Corrr Blimey!!.

"Hang On The Bell Nellie"   if i said HANG ON if he was walking too fast,, as i always said "Slow Down when i could not catch up. My dad was a fast walker and im told people called him The Greyhound!!!.

Has anyone else heard these before??.   LOL, LOl,..

Or can you remember your family having any Sayings or Phrases?...  Woman Happy

Message 1 of 69
See Most Recent
68 REPLIES 68

Don't know if it is where it originated but Leslie Phillips used to say coooorr luuuuummmyy in The Navy Lark radio show Cat Happy

Message 2 of 69
See Most Recent

When I was young & pushing the boundaries a bit my dad used to say "If you go too far you won't find your way back".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 69
See Most Recent

As a child whenever I played ball my father always used to say to me " Now you be careful or you'll break that window on both sides" always seemed such an odd statement to me but it's stuck and I have repeated it many a time.

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 4 of 69
See Most Recent

my neighbour has very bad eyesight and she told us "I couldn't see a gap in a ladder"!! I'd never heard that before but it's soooo funny!

Photobucket

Message 5 of 69
See Most Recent

If my mum disagreed with something, she would say " no a darcy " - which I now think may be from the phrase " no I daresay "

We had lots of strange words for things, but I think that was our Romany background.

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 6 of 69
See Most Recent

When surprised by something, a friend`s mother used to say

"Well, I`ll go to the foot of our stairs"

My friend thought it very odd, as they lived in a bungalow at the time.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 69
See Most Recent

When as kids we were messing about my grandad always used to say." Your as daft as a brush". ? What's that all about?

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 69
See Most Recent

@rsjlew wrote:

Don't know if it is where it originated but Leslie Phillips used to say coooorr luuuuummmyy in The Navy Lark radio show Cat Happy

My DAD was a HUGE Navy man and fan even in later years!!!. This is probably where it came from then. I have found out something today!!!.

Message 9 of 69
See Most Recent

aye Sam, why is a brush daft?

there are so many sayings that don't make sense aren't there?

Photobucket

Message 10 of 69
See Most Recent

Apparently:

THERE'S nothing daft about a brush. This "saying" is a meaningless southern English corruption of the entirely logical northern expression "soft as a brush".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 11 of 69
See Most Recent

Oh! Do we have a north & south division here. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 12 of 69
See Most Recent

I was going to say, in Yorkshire that saying, 'As daft as a brush' was followed by 'and twice as soft!'

Message 13 of 69
See Most Recent

Now that does make sense! I wonder sometimes if these sayings get muddled as people move into different areas?

**********Sam**********
Message 14 of 69
See Most Recent

The one that is a wee bit stoopid is " If you break your leg don't come running to me "  ??

Message 15 of 69
See Most Recent

One that I don't know the meaning of was,  If I asked my mum  when we could buy something or go somewhere (not having any money)  she used to say 'When my ship comes in'  What ship?  Where was it coming from? and why would it have anything on it for her?

Message 16 of 69
See Most Recent

If you leave the door open MIL always says "Were you born in a barn".

My Dad's favourite was "More money than sense" - he wasn't one for gizmo's and gadgets.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 17 of 69
See Most Recent

@stroppy*cow wrote:

If you leave the door open MIL always says "Were you born in a barn".

Funnily enough stroppy I have today used this very phrase in the sewing thread

Message 18 of 69
See Most Recent

I remember one," if you don't behave I'll beat the living day lights out of you!" I hasten to add I quickly came to heel so never did find out how that would come about! lol

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 69
See Most Recent

Whenever the kids used to sulk I would always say "ay and you can carry on till the cows come home" and Nick actually tested me out one day and did indeed continue till the herd walked by on their way back to the farm for milking LOL

Message 20 of 69
See Most Recent