Menopause - HRT alternatives you can recommend please?

Hi

That dreaded time of lime has hit me at 47  Cat Sad

I've been to the doctors who confirms my symptoms are menopause related (sudden and instantaneous heat rushes from waist upwards / tearful at the slightest thing / no periods etc)

After reading up on HRT and considering my medical past history, this treatment won't be suitable for me. 

My doctor said that a herbal route might be worth considering, and briefly mentioned that black cohosh helps some people.

I wondered if any of you could share your experiences with ANY of the herbal alternatives please? (as I know very little about what's out there, and the benefits of such treatments)

Thanks!

p.s

Please do PM me if you don't want to post here publicly Cat Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you like my snub nosed monkey?

Don't think rude thoughts; it's the cute thing on the left...

Message 1 of 60
See Most Recent
59 REPLIES 59

There are some very good posts here which may help:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Family-Home-and-Garden/Ladies-only-obviously-menopause-advice/m-p/27...

All I will add is that it can be trial and error - what suits one person won't suit another.

Can you get referred to or find a recommended, registered herbalist?  Or do you have access to a very good herbal remedy shop?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 2 of 60
See Most Recent

Cut down - if you need to - coffee, alcohol, spicy food, in other words try eating 'bland' and just experiment. No two women are the same when it comes to the menopause so just be aware of what foods might cause a flush. The herb sage is supposed to be good for flushes so I've heard. I was one of the lucky ones as made the transition without any problems other than the estrogen surge brought on breast cancer which I fully recovered from. Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 60
See Most Recent

You could try Sage tablets; they helped me for a while. Could be worth you talking to the people at Healthspan; I buy quite a few things from them, they sell herbal things and have advisors at the end of the phone.

Message 4 of 60
See Most Recent

Thank you for the advice.

Message 5 of 60
See Most Recent

I have posted on the one mentioned above but,,, i will just say your not alone,lots of us on here me included are going into or through the dreaded M. Its horrible,,some dont suffer as badly. Your not alone.heart

Message 6 of 60
See Most Recent

Please, if you get to find out anything new do post & share with everyone on here . This is becoming a popular thread & rightly so IMHO!

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 60
See Most Recent

@rose2008-2008 wrote:

I have posted on the one mentioned above but,,, i will just say your not alone,lots of us on here me included are going into or through the dreaded M. Its horrible,,some dont suffer as badly. Your not alone.heart

Thank you Cat Happy

I did use to think Menopause? Whats the big deal? - Now I know......

It's the pits!

I've suffered from heavy hair loss for about 15 years now (unknown reason - tests all came back ok) and to read that hair loss is a normal symptom has made me want to blub.  I'll end up bald if I lose hair this way too Cat Sad

Next time I'm here, I want to be a man... Cat LOL

Message 8 of 60
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
Please, if you get to find out anything new do post & share with everyone on here . This is becoming a popular thread & rightly so IMHO!

Will do Sam Cat Happy

I'm going to try St Johns Wort as a somewhat lighter alternative to the anti d's that the doctor offered for my weepiness and mild anxiety, but I can't decide whether to try Black Cohort or Red Clover for the flushes. 

Message 9 of 60
See Most Recent

I've just been reading a book called the Mood Cure, and it suggests 5HTP and GABA supplements for both those things: I'm going to pop down to H and B and get some 5HTP tomorrow and give it a go.  (The book seems really good - it's currently £3.99 as an ebook on Amazon: I found ti by accident looking for something else, but a lot of what she says makes enormous sense.)

Message 10 of 60
See Most Recent

lol. Yes you never hear a man say he'd like to be a woman next time around, now you know why!
Don't despair you have plenty of like minded women here who know what your going through & as I've said keep in touch if you have any questions or fears plenty on here have done that, got the tea shirt , just ask !.

**********Sam**********
Message 11 of 60
See Most Recent

Thank you Sam, I appreciate that Cat Very Happy

Message 12 of 60
See Most Recent

I'm really sorry, Honey, but try as  I might, I can't really help you on this one.  Because, you see, being a bloke, It's something I haven't really sufferred from ... Smiley WinkSmiley LOL

Message 13 of 60
See Most Recent

But maybe your wife has, Fred?

Message 14 of 60
See Most Recent

Maybe you could give your experiences from a mans point of view even?

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 60
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look on this website : http://www.naturalnews.com/

There is a wealth of information on there. heart

Message 16 of 60
See Most Recent

Im not man bashing as i have said before,,BUT, some men just dont have a clue. They dont understand why it may be painful to be intimate,why you cry or are emotional a lot or some of the time. Why you get down when your body seems to be getting jelly like and wobbly round the middle (and yes i wont lie i have been eating more at times because the whole M thing is hacking me right off!!). Its made me feel terrible at times and no i never thought it would be like this.heart

Message 17 of 60
See Most Recent

Real MCP's aren't we, making light of it? Smiley Very Happy

I made a classic faux pas many years ago, long before I met my wife when I was in a creative writing class and the subject got on to writers block, where you know what you want to write, but just cant find the words to express yourself.  

"It's so frustrating - it's like the last two weeks of pregnancy, just waiting to get it over."  Said one of the girls.  Having experienced writer's block myself on several occasions trying to get out the right words, I understood.  Unfortunately it didn't come out quite right:

"Yes, I know..."  I started to say in sympathy.  The roar of laughter that followed sealed my fate.  I experienced a cringe factor of ten, and I never lived it down! Smiley Embarassed

Luckily some women never experience the problems others go through, or if they do, they carry it well.  So much so, that others around them don't really notice.  It affects everybody differently.  Some feel a bit snappish towards their loved ones and find fault with them no matter what, while others get it real bad to such an extent it almost drives a wedge between them and a fed up husband.  It is something that every woman must come to terms with on an individual basis.  Some find all they need are extra iron tablets, but above all it needs an understanding husband or partner who recognises changes are taking place with their respective wives, and let any undue criticism just wash off like water off a duck's back.  It's too personal a subject to talk about on an open forum - that's why I made light of it.

Message 18 of 60
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Frederick,

Some people might find comfort in sharing and discussing their experience with others on many different subjects. Isn't that what forums are for? All women on this planet go through it at some point, so it's hardly something that needs to be kept secret.

Message 19 of 60
See Most Recent

Well said! These things need to be out in the open so that both sexes can learn to understand & therefore both benefit, a lot of women suffer in silence & in this day & age that should not happen!.

**********Sam**********
Message 20 of 60
See Most Recent