Ladies only (obviously) menopause advice

I think I am entering the first stage of the dreaded menopause (boo). I am 47 and for the last 3 months have noticed some changes ie. monthly cycle a bit erratic, waking up clammy with the back of my hair stuck to my head etc I was just wondering if you have any tips on how to deal with it. what worked for you etc. I cannot take HRT as my mother has had breast cancer so the risk is too high. I know everyone is different but a little advice may go a long way for me in the future. I am dreading it. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 55
See Most Recent
54 REPLIES 54

Most supplements that may help have already been mentioned, apart from the often-overlooked homeopathic Sepia which is a little gem for menopausal symptoms/PMT etc. Have had really good feedback from people who have tried it and it's absolutely safe to take.

Message 21 of 55
See Most Recent

I also was lucky as was my mother, but some do suffer with the symptoms quite badly& it's nice to share treatments etc.
I was very interested in the earlier post about mood swings& memory loss, we forget about these things ( no pun intended) but at the time it can be very distressing , the feeling of being out of control?

**********Sam**********
Message 22 of 55
See Most Recent

Calibra,,,i was same age really as you when mine started ,same symptoms. I cannot take HRT as Breast Cancer is in my family too. Now you could try natural Herbal treatments if you believe in that sort of thing. But make sure with your doctor first. Go to the doctor FULL STOP,,,he will help and make suggestions and normally do a Hormone level Blood Test to make sure it is your Hormaone level,,menopause ect.

I have had terrible Migraines since mine started up three years ago but you may not get this so dont be afraid. I was getting hot sweats BUT as my doctor has had to put me on Amitryptyline for my Migraines these pills do help with the other symptoms. They have stopped my Sweats And Hot Flashes and Flushes. There are lots of different things your doctor can try depending on how bad your symptoms are.

But i will say you might have allsorts of odd feelings or you might not. Pains in the joints, pains in tummy like periods but there is no periods. Different lengths of time between periods. feeling Emotional one minuite and fine the next. Also the symptoms can go away for a while and then come back with ven geance. You might start getting forgetful. But dont be afraid,, your not alone. And lots on here know what im saying so we are here to support you.

Woman Happy

Message 23 of 55
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a miserable time for all concerned, not only the woman going through it but close family who have to put up with it as well!  All is not lost though - go to the menopause matters website - some very good advice on there. Heather Currie is the 'high heid yin' at our local hospital & is excellent - she's often on the radio etc dispensing wisdom! Well worth a visit.

Message 24 of 55
See Most Recent

Thank you all sooo much for your kind comments, tips and wisdom. I am glad I started this thread. I have made an appointment to have my hormone levels checked as suggested and will be mentioning the various supplements available. I feel more positive now. Thank you.

Message 25 of 55
See Most Recent

I've been searching and just found a book in my "library" (have mentioned it on here before, some time ago). It's called "Healthy Eating for the Menopause" written by a nutritionist, Dr Marilyn Glenville PhD. First part of the book addresses all sorts of questions we may have - eg, understanding the role of oestrogen, what sorts of foods to avoid, and what to concentrate on (and the reasons why; it also touches on osteoporosis, something that also may affect us when we reach a certain age) and then the remainder of the book provides some recipes containing the recommended ingredients. Usual menopausal dietary-recommended stuff as mentioned further up ^^^ eg,-lots of oily fish, seeds (linseed appears to be especially beneficial, as well as sunflower and pumpkin seeds). Avoid regular tea, coffee, alchohol, instead drink herbal/fruit/redbush/green teas, etc.

If it helps and you would like to consider it, (alongside a visit to your GP, of course!!) the ISBN number is: 978-1-85626-88404. I have found it helpful, but again, may not suit everyone.  Smiley Happy

Photobucket

Message 26 of 55
See Most Recent

As an aside, perhaps men should read this (not Ladies only (obviously), as per the OP)!

Mr Pix could advise them, for instance, not to complain about chattering teeth at night when the windows are open and the fan is on. He would advise you to don a cosy jumper, thick socks and a woolly hat and scarf, (plus hot water bottle) if necessary. Just don't complain, if you know what's good for you!!! Most specifially do not complain about the noise the fan is making (which, actually, it's not)!!

Also - he may, in his wisdom, tell you to guard against flying missiles. Just duck and agree - admit that you have done wrong and need to try harder in future. Woman Very Happy

Photobucket

Message 27 of 55
See Most Recent

I'm going through it kinda, i had breast cancer last year and as it was hormone fed i was given tamoxifen, that has bought on an early menopause, i'm having roughly 6-7 hot flushes a day,  and during the night it's covers on... covers off.... i will try anything, so i'm sitting in on this thread lol just incase i see something i haven't tried ,x

Message 28 of 55
See Most Recent

Hi FL, I'm sure the ladies will be along in time& will help you all they can, have you spoken to your oncologist & or GP about your symptoms? I hope you are progressing on your road to recovery, my best wishes for your continued health! Sam.

**********Sam**********
Message 29 of 55
See Most Recent

@frilly*lily wrote:

I'm going through it kinda, i had breast cancer last year and as it was hormone fed i was given tamoxifen, that has bought on an early menopause, i'm having roughly 6-7 hot flushes a day,  and during the night it's covers on... covers off.... i will try anything, so i'm sitting in on this thread lol just incase i see something i haven't tried ,x

I had a similar experience although my periods stopped dead and I never had another but it was 4 months later that I was diagnosed with a hormone related breast cancer and also took Tamoxifen for nearly 5 years. I think because my periods stopped and was taking the tamoxifen it knocked the usual menopausal symptoms on the head. Sam is right, either your oncologist or GP can offer some advice hopefully, although I think most GP's are not very well informed (huge generalisation!) about the menopause unless they are women! 

The only practical suggestion I can make is to use cotton sheets/duvet covers and if you have a partner invest in another duvet!

I have also heard (many years ago) that the Sage herb is good for menopausal symptoms.

Good luck with your recovery.

Message 30 of 55
See Most Recent

Another point on the subject which is very rarely mentioned & forgive me please if this. Offends, just because your periods have stopped does not mean you cannot get pregnant, as a lot of women have learned too late, correct me if I am wrong please but I believe you have to have had a two year gap without a period before you can safely say no more family planning!

**********Sam**********
Message 31 of 55
See Most Recent

Yes Sam, my doctor told me that too.  Imagine being a mother at 53 oh boy.   When I had first signs, I went to the doctor, sat down told him he said ok here is a script for HRT. and that was it, no blood tests nothing.  I don't have a lot of symptoms only with hot flushes and night sweats boy I hate the night sweats covers on covers off, windows shut windows open,  OH sleeps in the spare room as I disturb him poor thing.  I tend to be period free for 6 or 7 months then back it comes usually horrendous flow, the last time I had to have the day off work, because of the flooding.  I haven't had one since and that was 4 months ago.   would think the chances of becoming pregnant are very slim, as I only have one ovary following an ectopic pregnancy and subsequent infection and was told before I had my son that I wouldn't be able to have children, or a small chance, we gave up and bought a dog and 4 years later at the ripe old age of 32 I fell pregnant with my son so it can happen.

Message 32 of 55
See Most Recent

Yes ed , your body doesn't read books, I was told after I broke my pelvis that it would have been difficult for me to give birth naturally, but I never took the chance anyway, as too you flooding have you not been offered a D& C, it never ceases to amaze me how little research has gone into this one very natural.but problematic for a lot of women condition, & as another poster said very wisely IMO.the oh should be involved as well, it is a very private condition& I was so pleased it has been discussed on this board as a lot of women suffer in silence& to learn from others who are going through it must be a great comfort to them. Keep up the good work ladies. If you just put one persons mind at rest you have done them a great service! Sandra.

**********Sam**********
Message 33 of 55
See Most Recent

Ooooh i watched that programme about Tina Malone having a baby at 50 the other night. OOOhhh no she was in a bit of a state when it came to the birth, it had really taken its toll on her!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Back to hot flushes,,my worst ones come in the morning in bed before i get up and i swear this is connected to Migraines( well i know it is) as i get hot and get pain in my head at the same time. I have got up on the mornings when they were bad and literally stood in front of the fridge door!!!!. LOL. When they come someone could chuck a bucket of ice cold water over me and i would not care. But the Amitriptyline has stopped their ferocity.

heart

Message 34 of 55
See Most Recent

Just reading this it just goes to show how different we all are.  As I only have a flood about twice a year I don't really want to go down the D&C road, over the years I have had 4 of them due to fibroids and after 2 I have had nasty infections, and I would rather not risk it unless I have to, I have not had anything now for 18 years so no news is good news.  I feel I am going out the other side now so I will just hang on in there.  My other half has no idea what the night sweats are like apart from the fact they annoy him.  Because I   don't have any other problems it doesn't really affect him.

Message 35 of 55
See Most Recent

I know its not all men so im not having a man bashing moment but,,, i think men do get a little annoyed sometimes with ladies menopausal moments. Maybe their thinking we are making a meal of it. My ex boyfriend i always seemed to see when i was having a Migraine or just not feeling good. Sometimes i got annoyed as i thought my menopause was out to Sabotage my relationship!!!.

It is worse than i ever thought it would be,,,well me personally anyway, i know some others may not have hardly any symptoms at all. We all seem to go through it differently.heart

Message 36 of 55
See Most Recent

thanks, im seeing my 'onc' next month ,i will ask her about it then,   i've only been on it sinse august,took till about october to kick in, i just need to think of a hot flush and im there ha ha, 

Message 37 of 55
See Most Recent

thanks,, i have got roy a sleeping bag ha ha,, i will try the sage for sure,, hope your recovery has been good as well

Message 38 of 55
See Most Recent

Hello Ladies.  Only just caught up with this thread, so I thought I'd throw in my little story.

I had a hysterectomy about twelve years ago and went into instant, overnight menopause.  No one had thought to mention to me that this would happen and it never occurred to me!  Anyway, it was ok.  I did have hot flushes but not too bad.  Some one (and I can't remember who now) recommended soya milk, so I gave it a try.  I have to say the hot flushes subsided and were relatively short lived, though of course I can't say for sure whether it was the soya milk or if it was going to be like that anyway.

So, I got used to the milk and came to prefer it in my tea - I find cows milk too creamy tasting now - so here I am all these years later, still having it in my tea.  I don't have it on cereals etc as I feel I need the calcium.  Anyway, I was chatting to my daughter the other day and mentioned to her that I have a theory.   I am sixty six now and my skin is very good - I don't have any wrinkles.  Looking at all my friends, they all have wrinkles!  So I was wondering if there is a connection - soya is a phyto oestregen and replaces the reducng oestregen levels and hence works on the hot flushes.  So I'm thinking maybe it works on the skin as well?  My daughter works at the local hospital and asked a consultant if he thinks that's the case and he said, yes, definitely.  Oestregen produces collagen, which is what keeps the skin young.

So, there you go!  Forget the expensive creams, buy the soya milk!   There are lots of different ones and you need to try them to find one you like.

Good luck, ladies!

lizzie

Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 55
See Most Recent

Found another & bumping it!

**********Sam**********
Message 40 of 55
See Most Recent