I am totally and utterly disgusted!

Called in at work this afternoon as one of the insurance folks was in to talk to us about the nuts and bolts of workplace pensions for people employing staff for personal care.

As many of you lnow, I work at an organisation that provides advice and support for disabled people. The whole ethos is supposed to be about supporting and enabling people with disabilities to be independent.

A new shared printer / scanner / photocopier has been installed. Now the old one was very difficult to use - couldn't get at the manual feed slot, no way I could add paper, no way I could clear a paper jam. So have these points been addressed - OF COURSE NOT. The new one is even more impossible as I cannot see the control panel - it is too high.

So the organisation supports and enables me to be independent by:

making it impossible to print, scan or photocopy without assistance

placing the kettle and the coffee machine where I cannot reach them

failing to provide any toilet facility that I can use without dismantling my wheelchair (I usually go next door and use their toilet)

failing to provide a sink that I can use to wash a mug - it isn't easy washing up in a tiny hand basin

tying up the emergency pull cords in the toilet

making me work at a desk that is too low - I had to provide and fit my own blocks

making me work at a desk that is too deep - I cannot reach anything at the back

failing to provide sufficient desk space to let me get at the back of my computer

failing to provide sufficient manouvring space for my wheelchair in my office - I can go in forwards, come out in reverse, no room to turn

providing notice boards that I cannot reach - I have to ask for help just to change the calendar

providing filing cabinets that I cannot get in to as there isn't enough room to manouvre the wheelchair

failing to keep fire exits clear

disabling my telephone headset

removing my trackball - I cannot use a mouse due to RSI

insisting that I use flourescent lighting that gives me migraine

putting so much junk in the stationery room that it is impossible to turn round in there or reach anything from the shelves, so I need help every time I need envelopes

And they wonder why I am off sick!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

mouse4702
Conversationalist

Idon'tknowhowyoudon'tgomadwithanaxe,really

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

SorryStroppy,Computerplayingupagain

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

@mouse4702 wrote:

Idon'tknowhowyoudon'tgomadwithanaxe,really

Mainly because I can't reach most things

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Honestly, Stroppy - I am at a loss as to what to say apart from what stupid person came up with that lot.  Needless to say, I am being polite there.  If I put on here what I wanted to do, every other word would be bleeped out.

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Stroppy,areyoufamiliarwithachapcalledMarkNeary?  Hehasanautistic son who has been pushedfrompillartopostby the local authorityand healthservices, so Mark blogs and is now followedbythousands.  His blog is called "Love, BeliefandBalls" andisaneyeopener.  Maybe youcouldblogabout your experiences too?  We'dfollowyou

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Have to say that if they do nothing right for you why on earth would anyone else with a physical disabilty go to them for help ????????

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Is there not a 'department' that you report disabled discrimination to??  Don't tell me.....you are that department?

It's all unbelievable!!  Woman Sad

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

You need to approach your line manager with your concerns ....

Write them all down ...a copy for them and a copy for you..

Your line manager will need to take note of your concerns and if they cannot solve the problem then they need to address it with their manager and so it should go up the line until the person in charge takes responsibility and addresses the problems ...

Quite honestly if the organisation you work for cannot facilitate things for their own employees then the outlook is bleak ...
Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

It's been a lot of years Stroppy since I worked in HR, but isn't there a chance you could involve the Fire Services to do an audit - exits must be kept clear - people such as yourself must have room to manouevre (in case of emergency) and each employee, regardless of ability was entitled to a certain standard of - work space, light and preferably (again Fire Service related) access to a window.

Just a thought, I am disgusted too, for you.  What a terrible way to treat an employee, partocularly one who has the health issues you do.  I was very lucky in my working life.  I am so sorry.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

@stan3502 wrote:
Have to say that if they do nothing right for you why on earth would anyone else with a physical disabilty go to them for help ????????

Clients don't have to struggle in the office - we go out to them mainly because the office environment is poor!

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

well then time to  name and shame them to your local councillors, m.p and press

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

You need to approach your line manager with your concerns ....

Write them all down ...a copy for them and a copy for you..

Your line manager will need to take note of your concerns and if they cannot solve the problem then they need to address it with their manager and so it should go up the line until the person in charge takes responsibility and addresses the problems ...

Quite honestly if the organisation you work for cannot facilitate things for their own employees then the outlook is bleak ...

Did that, back in February. Line manager is great, but the trustees haven't got a clue. I sent a copy of all my problems to every trustee, and not one of them even acknowledged receiving it, let alone addressed any of the issues. I called in the union, but they just ignore them. To be fair, most of the trustees have learning difficulties and / or mental health issues.

The legislation requires "reasonable" ajustments, but the trustees and I don't quite interpret "reasonable" in the same way. They don't see why they should change anything to suit one member of staff.

It's been a lot of years Stroppy since I worked in HR, but isn't there a chance you could involve the Fire Services to do an audit - exits must be kept clear - people such as yourself must have room to manouevre (in case of emergency) and each employee, regardless of ability was entitled to a certain standard of - work space, light and preferably (again Fire Service related) access to a window.

I called in the Fire Service, who nearly closed the place down, and fire exits were kept clear for a few weeks, but since I am off sick and not making a fuss on a regular basis, things just slip back, and no-one else has a problem - the able bodied folks just step round / over the obstacles.

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

(((Stroppy)))) Some people.  If they employ disabled people they should make the facilities available.

Should see our local shops.  The Post Office was forced to fit a ramp, of course it is so steep you'd struggle to wheel a chair up it but legally they had to have one.  The betting shop has a wonderful disabled accessible ramp and wide doorways! The hairdresser has no ramp but the staff nip out like rabbits out of a hat to help wheelchair/disabled people in.The local convenience store is inacessible to a baby buggy never mind a wheel chair - not sure how it gets away with it!.

How about this then, son's latest consultant requested son be referred to a clinical psych to help him cope with his multiple conditions(rather than picking them off in turn), letter came back saying(once one has decoded the gobbledegook) there is no such service available until he either trys to kill somebody or himself!!!!!!!!!!!! Well the first people on that list are the letter writers!!! The consultant was slightly bemused.

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

Judging by your OP they haven't made 'reasonable' adjustments in a good number of the examples you mention, they are not overly costly or cost nothing, and such as keeping fire exits clear should be done anyway, it doesn't matter if you are the only one affected.

I think I would be seeking advice from the Equality and Human Rights Commission though I am surprised that your line manager can't deal with some of the simpler problems themselves.

Even when I used casual workers it was commonsense to ensure they could work efficiently, it makes for greater productivity.

heart heart heart heart heart

?I guess I should warn you. If you know what I said, you've probably misunderstood.?
Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

well I'm with Stan....time the newspapers found out...and not just the local one either, bigger the better.

Photobucket

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent